Motorcycle Manual in Louisiana
Get answers, save time and pass your motorcycle written test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets also offers:
- Steps to getting your license
- 50 essential study-guide questions
- Traffic signs and signals
Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed.
The LA motorcycle manual provides an introduction to Louisiana motorcycle operation and rules, as well as details about motorcycle safety courses for new riders. You'll also learn about the tests required to get your Louisiana motorcycle license.
The Motorcycle Operator Manual (Form DPSMV 2048) published by the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) introduces you to the basics of motorcycle operation.
It contains information about:
- Motorcycle safety.
- Getting a LA motorcycle license.
- Relevant laws and regulations.
- Operating trikes and motorcycles with sidecars.
You'll find several diagrams and images to help you visualize what it's like to ride a motorcycle.
Motorcycle safety courses from the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections (DPSC) offer support and training to new riders.
Taking the DPSC motorcycle course has multiple benefits:
- You won't have to take the Louisiana OMV written test OR riding skills test to obtain your motorcycle license.
- You MAY qualify for a discount on your motorcycle insurance.
Most importantly, you'll learn how to ride your motorcycle safely from a qualified instructor.
The basic course for new riders lasts 15 1/2 hours and incudes both classroom and riding components. It covers riding skills and having the appropriate attitude toward riding.
More information about safe rider courses is available in the LA motorcycle manual and on the LA DPSC website.
To earn your motorcycle license endorsement from the LA OMV, you must pass:
- A vision test.
- A written knowledge test.
- A riding skills test.
NOTE: If you complete a Louisiana DPS motorcycle safety course, you DO NOT have to take the written or riding skills tests.
Written Knowledge Test
The written test asks questions based on the information in the motorcycle manual.
You may be asked about topics such as:
- How motorcycles work.
- When to use certain equipment.
- Correct and safe operation.
- LA laws or traffic rules related to motorcycles.
DMV practice tests can help you get ready for the Louisiana OMV exam, as well as reading and studying the manual.
Riding Skills Test
The riding skills test requires you to perform specific exercises on your motorcycle while an examiner evaluates your ability.
You may be asked to:
- Stop normally and/or quickly.
- Turn normally and/or quickly.
- Accelerate safely.
- Choose an appropriate speed.
The Louisiana motorcycle operator manual provides more details about the riding skills test.