Defensive Driving in LouisianaThe first online driver improvement course to be court-approved in Louisiana, LouisianaDriver.com has helped hundreds of drivers keep the points from traffic citations off their driving record. Log on and off at your convenience at any time to complete this course. If you don?t pass, you don?t pay! Live telephone support and rush certificate delivery available.LouisianaDriver.com
Enroll Now >>
On this page you’ll find information about Louisiana traffic school/defensive driving and which agency to contact for more information.
Depending on your specific circumstances and driving history, a LA defensive driving course may allow you to:
- Dismiss a traffic ticket.
- Satisfy a traffic court requirement.
- Avoid a driver’s license suspension.
- Avoid an increase in your insurance rates.
- Earn an auto insurance discount.
Your traffic court or insurance provider will need to determine your eligibility, which will generally depend upon the nature of your traffic offense, your driving record, and the last time you completed traffic school.
If eligible, you should receive more information about:
- Your deadline for finishing your program.
- Which Louisiana traffic school course you must take.
- Any additional fees or documents you’ll need to submit.
If you take a defensive driving course voluntarily, your traffic school provider will generally determine your completion deadline and additional requirements.
Generally, you’ll have the option of completing your Kansas defensive driving online or in the classroom. Usually, your own schedule and preference will determine your choice between the two types of courses.
For information about defensive driving courses available to you:
- Look up defensive driving or traffic school listings in your phone book.
- Contact the Louisiana DMV.
- Contact your traffic court.
- Contact your car insurance provider.
NOTE: If you commit certain major offenses or too many minor traffic violations, you risk a driver’s license suspension from the Louisiana OMV.
For information about checking your driver’s license status and suspensions, please visit our pages on:
Earn a Louisiana Car Insurance Discount
If you take a defensive driving course voluntarily, you may earn a discount on your car insurance rates.
For more details, please check with your insurance provider.
In general, traffic school/defensive driving courses in Louisiana will include information about:
- Louisiana traffic laws.
- Sharing the road with other motorists, motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians.
- Safe driving habits.
- Responsible driving attitudes and behaviors.
- Alcohol/drug abuse and violations.
- Minor and major traffic offenses.
Your course may take anywhere from 4 to 12 hours to complete. The cost of your course will vary depending on your provider.
Most courses will require you to complete a final exam before receiving a completion certificate. Many defensive driving courses allow multiple attempts at the final exam.
Depending on your reason for taking a defensive driving course, you may need to submit your completion certificate to:
- The traffic court handling your traffic ticket.
- Your car insurance provider.
- The Louisiana OMV.
Contact your chosen course provider for specific information, such as course duration, fees, and method of completion.Other Topics in This Section