Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Name Change in Louisiana

    Louisiana Name Change Package - $29.95

    These industry-leading Name Change Packages automate the completion of the forms required to change your name in Louisiana. Just complete the quick questionnaire, print the forms, and file them. Changing your name has never been easier.

    Get Started

    Name Change Package
    Includes Forms for:

    • Drivers License
    • Vehicle Title
    • Registration
    • IRS
    • Voter Registration
    • US Passport
    • Bank Notification
    • Credit Card Notification
    • Insurance Notification

    SUMMARY: How to Change Your Name in Louisiana

    If you’ve recently changed your name, you’ll need to notify both the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) and apply for updated documents. You’ll need an updated driver’s license/ID card and a corrected vehicle certificate of title and registration document, if you own a car.

    Change Your Name with the SSA

    Before you change your name on your Louisiana driver’s license and car title, you must first inform the Social Security Administration (SSA) of your name change. You will need the following documents:

    • Application for Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
    • Proof of your U.S. citizenship (if not already recorded) or lawful presence.
      • If you’re a non-U.S. citizen, you’ll also need a printout of your I-94 arrival/departure record.
    • Proof of your name change.
    • Proof of your identity.

    All documents must be originals or certified copies from the issuing agency. A list of accepted documents can be found on the SSA website.

    Submit the above documents to your local SSA either in person or by mail.

    Once the SSA has processed your name change, you should receive your updated Social Security card in the mail within 10 business days.

    LA Driver’s License & ID Card Name Change

    You can only change your name on your LA driver’s license if you’ve already updated your name with the SSA (see above).

    You’ll need to visit the LA OMV office in person with:

    • An original or certified document proving your name change, such as your:
      • Marriage license.
      • Divorce decree.
      • Court order.
    • Your LA driver’s license.
    • Proof of your car insurance, if you own a car.
    • Payment for the $13 duplicate license fee.
      • Depending on your location, you may also need to pay an additional local fee of no more than $4.

    You will receive an updated driver’s license showing your new name, but with the same expiration date as your previous card.

    Vehicle Title & Registration Name Change

    You may be able to change the name on your vehicle title and registration at the same time as changing your name on your driver’s license (see “ LA Driver’s License & ID Card Name Change” above).

    You will need to apply for a duplicate certificate of title and registration showing your new name.

    For more information, visit our following pages:

    Fees to Change Your Name in Louisiana

    When you change your name in Louisiana, you will need to pay the following fees to the LA OMV for updated documents:

    • Driver’s license: $13.
    • Certificate of title: $18.50 plus the $8 handling fee.
    • Registration: $12.

    NOTE: Some OMV office locations may charge additional fees. Contact them directly for more information.

    Accepted Payment Methods

    Louisiana OMV offices accept payment by:

    • Credit and debit card (will incur additional fees).
    • Cash.
    • Money order.
    • Electronic funds transfer.
    • E-check (will incur an additional fee).

    Change Your Louisiana Address

    If you’ve changed your address in Louisiana, you’ll need to notify the LA Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) within 10 days. This must be done in person at an OMV office. For more information, visit our Change of Address in Louisiana page.

    Other Topics in This Section
    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.