Change of Address in Louisiana
This page will give you all the information you need to successfully change your address with the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV).
When you move to a new address in Louisiana, you must notify the OMV within 10 days. Visit your local LA OMV office in person with:
- Your current LA driver's license/ID card.
- Proof of your insurance, if you own a vehicle.
- In addition to changing your address on your driver's license, you'll need to update your LA car registration.
- Payment for the required fee.
You cannot change your address on your LA driver's license/ID card online or by mail.
NOTE: If your Louisiana driver's license will be expiring within the next 90 days, you'll need to renew it.
You can change your address on your vehicle registration either in person or by mail. You cannot change your address online.
You will need:
- A written request, if changing your address by mail.
- Your certificate of registration.
- A copy of the certificate is sufficient for mailed-in requests.
- Payment for the required fee. If sending payment by mail, payment must be made by a check, money order, or cashier's check only, that includes your:
- LA driver's license number.
- Phone number.
- Street address.
Take the above items to your local Louisiana OMV office or mail them to:
Office of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 64886
Baton Rouge, LA 70896
NOTE: You will also need to have your LA driver’s license address updated.
When changing your address with the Louisiana OMV, you'll need to pay the following fees:
- Driver's license: $13.
- ID card: Contact the LA OMV.
- Vehicle registration: $12.
You may also need to pay the following additional fees:
- Local fee: Up to $4.
- In person transactions:
- Credit/debit fee: $1.25 plus 1% of total transaction cost.
If you've just moved to Louisiana from another state, you will need to transfer your out-of-state driver's license to the OMV within 30 days of becoming a resident. You must appear in person at your local LA OMV office with:
- Your out-of-state driver's license or driving record.
- Additional proof of your identity.
- Your Social Security number.
- Proof of your auto insurance, if you own a vehicle.
- Payment for the licensing and vehicle registration fee, if applicable.
You will need to pass the vision test while at the OMV office.
NOTE: If your out-of-state driver's license is expired or suspended, you will need to pass the written and driving tests.
If you've changed your name, you'll need to first notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) before the LA Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) will accept your name change request.
Once you've done this, you'll need to visit your local Louisiana OMV office in person to have your driver's license/ID card, vehicle registration, and certificate of title updated.
Complete instructions can be found on our Change Your Name in Louisiana page.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.