Commercial Driver Education in Louisiana
Get Free Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes from Multiple Providers
Enter Your Zip Code:
You may feel overwhelmed with all the tests and paperwork it takes to obtain your CDL. Luckily, the Louisiana Commercial Driver's Manual is a good place to start educating yourself on basic information.
The CDL manual offers a wealth of information divided into 13 parts. Here's a quick reference:
- Section One: Introduction
- Section Two: Driving Safely
- Section Three: Transporting Cargo Safely
- Section Four: Transporting Passengers
- Section Five: Air Brakes
- Section Six: Combination Vehicles
- Section Seven: Doubles and Triples
- Section Eight: Tank Vehicles
- Section Nine: Hazardous Materials
- Section Ten: School Bus
- Section Eleven: Pre-Trip Vehicle Inspection
- Section Twelve: Basic Vehicle Control Skills Test
- Section Thirteen: On-Road Driving
In order to pass your driving skills tests, you will need to learn how to inspect vehicles before driving and how to couple and uncouple tractors and trailers. You'll also need to have plenty of practice driving in different conditions and on different road surfaces. Turning, parking, backing up, and braking are essential skills.
Many motor carriers train their employees, while other drivers take courses at private driving schools, vocational or technical schools, and community colleges. The Professional Truck Driver Institute (PTDI) has set minimum standards for training curriculums and certifies driver training courses that meet industry and Federal Highway Administration (FHA) guidelines. Many employers require their drivers to take PTDI-approved training.
The OMV offers an online list of third-party examiners.
The testing fee with third-party examiners is $60 if you provide your own commercial vehicle. If you don't have your own, sometimes the examiner will rent one to you for an extra fee.
Please visit our Commercial Driver License FAQ section for more information.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Training for Trucking: Enroll in CDL Driver Education
- Trucker Testing: Commercial Drivers License Exams
- How to Choose a Commercial Driver Education Program
- What is Commercial Driver Education?
- Commercial Driver Education: Are You Ready to Drive a Big Rig?
- How to Prepare for a CDL Permit Exam
Instant Driving Record
Check for tickets, violations, and confirm your drivers license status with a instant self-check driving record.
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.