Paperwork When Buying a Car in Louisiana
Get detailed VIN History Report in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start a Search:
When buying a car, you'll need:
- The original title, signed over to you. It must be notarized.
You may also need:
Don't buy a car unless the seller can produce the title. In order to sell a car to an individual in Louisiana, the seller must have the vehicle's title. The seller can apply for a duplicate if the original is lost.
When buying from an individual (as compared to a dealership), you will need a bill of sale for registering and titling your vehicle. You can, if needed, easily download this document from our Bill of Sale page.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Federal Agency Stirring Around the Idea of Lowering BAC Limit to .05 Percent
- Pot Runs to Legalized Marijuana States Putting Cops on High Alert
- Behind the scenes: Iron Man & rental car insurance
- 5 Reasons to Welcome Big Brother Into Your Car
- Would Iron Man buy rental car insurance
- The Truth Will Set You (Hands) Free
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.