Paperwork When Selling a Car in Louisiana
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
You need to provide:
- An assigned and notarized title. Include odometer reading if the vehicle is less than 10 years old.
- A lien release, if applicable.
- Either a notarized bill of sale or an invoice if the title does not contain signatures, date of sale and vehicle price. A full description (make, model, year) of the vehicle must be included.
After the sale, be sure to remove the vehicle's license plates.
The OMV strongly recommends retaining a bill of sale for your records, regardless if it's required or not. You can easily download this document from our Bill of Sale page.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
- Chrysler Caves, Recalls 2.7 Million Jeep Grand Cherokees and Liberty SUVs
- Chrysler Cold Shoulders Government’s Recall Request
- Driver Signs: A Zodiac Guide to Your Road Habits
- Say Hello to Tougher Texting-While-Driving Penalties, New York!
- The REAL ID Act: Are You Ready for a National ID?
- New Study: Voice Texting and Traditional Texting Equally Distracting