Vehicle Code in Louisiana
There may come a time when knowing Louisiana's driving-related rules and regulations, or at least being able to look them up, will come in handy.
The Louisiana Class D & E Drivers Guide is a great place to learn the rules of the road, but even it doesn't cover the specifics of everything. That's when it's time to turn to the Louisiana State Legislature for more help.
Title 32 has more than 100 statutes pertaining to motor vehicles, driver licenses, traffic regulations, and much more.
To save you from spending hours looking for the statute you need, DMV.org has dug through the statutes and divided them into 10 basic categories based on the content contained in each section. Each category will list only a few of the statutes included for quick reference.
To find the complete list of statutes, visit the Title 32: Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation Web page provided by the Louisiana State Legislature.
Drivers, Pedestrians, Licenses, Vehicles, Equipment, and Road Rules
- RS 32:1 Definitions
- RS 32:52 Driver must be licensed
- RS 32:64 General speed law
- RS 32:211 Pedestrians subject to traffic regulations
- RS 32:398.1 Traffic citations; form; issuance
- RS 32:401 Driver's license law
- RS 32:414 Suspension, revocation, renewal, and cancellation of licenses; judicial review
Collector and Historic Vehicles
- RS 32:442 Definitions
- RS 32:443 Storage on collector's property
- RS 32:451 Declaration of purpose
- RS 32:453 Licensing requirements; exemptions
- RS 32:456 Registration; licensing
- RS 32:457 Authorized rules
Parking and Abandonment of Vehicles
- RS 32:471 Definitions
- RS 32:472 Parking motor vehicles; seizure of; payment of costs
- RS 32:473.1 Abandoned vehicle; removal by tow truck operator
- RS 32:474 Authority to take possession of abandoned motor vehicles
- RS 32:535.1 Required invoice
Driving While Intoxicated (DWI)
- RS 32:661 Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcoholic beverages or illegal substance or controlled dangerous substances
- RS 32:661.1 Operating a watercraft under the influence of alcoholic beverages or controlled dangerous substances
- RS 32:661.2 Operation of a locomotive engine under the influence of alcoholic beverages or controlled dangerous substances
- RS 32:662 Administering chemical tests; use of results as evidence
- RS 32:667 Seizure of license; circumstances; temporary license
Automotive Dismantlers, Crushers, Scrapped Dealers, and Parts Recyclers
- RS 32:751 Definitions
- RS 32:713 Lost or destroyed certificate
- RS 32:716 Dismantling registered vehicle
- RS 32:717 Sale of motor vehicle as scrap
- RS 32:726.1 Tampering with or altering odometers prohibited; penalties
Used Motor Vehicle Dealers and Marine Product Dealers
- RS 32:851 Motor vehicle safety responsibility law
- RS 32:867 Private parking lots
- RS 32:900 Motor vehicle liability policy" defined
Motor Vehicle Manufacturers and Dealers
- RS 32:1252 Definitions
- RS 32:1254 Application for license; requirements for licensure; contents; licenses; franchise filings
- RS 32:1257 Establishment of new motor vehicle dealerships and/or relocations; protests; procedure
- RS 32:1262 Warranty; compensation; audits of dealer records
- RS 32:1265 Sale of water-damaged vehicles
Carriers and Transporting Materials
- RS 32:1502 Definitions
- RS 32:1503 General provisions; carrier liability insurance; carrier placards
- RS 32:1507 Special permits and exemptions
- RS 32:1508 Declaration and marking of unsafe vehicles and containers
- RS 32:1510 Reporting of incidents, accidents, and cleanups
- RS 32:1518 Reckless handling of hazardous materials
- RS 32:1713 Definitions
- RS 32:1715 Towing of motor vehicles in the state of Louisiana
- RS 32:1717.1 Licensing; storage facility inspection; fee
- RS 32:1720.1 Surrender of stored vehicle to lienholder
- RS 32:1726 Abandoned automobiles; stored or in possession of dealer or repairman; right to sell; procedure
- RS 32:1731 The Louisiana Towing and Storage Fund
Whenever you need or want to check the status of your driver’s license, you can order a driving record report. This record will spell out if your driver’s license is currently valid. Should your license have been revoked or suspended, the report will indicate that according to what’s on record at the OMV. This report will also show points against your license and, in some cases, information on any accidents you have had.
If you can't find what you're looking for in the statutes, refer to Louisiana's Policies and Procedures, which cover information about licenses, motor vehicles, and safety. Or, you may contact your Louisiana Legislators for additional assistance.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.