Traffic Schools in KentuckyPage Overview
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) provides the State Traffic School Program open to all court-referred drivers convicted of minor traffic violations.
- The class can nullify the points assessed for a recent traffic violation.
- The class can, depending on the situation, mollify out-of-state citations.
- It provides in-depth look at Kentucky driving laws.
- It teaches defensive driving techniques.
- Taking the course may even lower your KY auto insurance rates. Contact your own insurance provider for those details.
- You cannot attend if your license is under suspension or about to be suspended. The class is only for minor infractions.
- You cannot attend more than once in a period of 12 months.
- You must have a driver's license and be ordered by the court.
- Traffic school referrals can only originate from the district where the violation occurred.
The district court that issued your citation will send your state traffic school referral to Kentucky's Division of Driver Licensing. You will then be sent a letter with enrollment instructions.
This letter is a court order, not a suggestion. Don't ignore it. Failure to enroll will cause your license to be suspended until you complete the class. You must enroll within 30 days of receiving the letter. To make it easy for you the state allows you to enroll online.
Make sure your license address matches your current address. Otherwise your enrollment instructions will be sent to your old address. This is a common occurrence, which causes licenses to be needlessly suspended.
The state won't shed any pity if this happens to you. Kentucky law specifically dictates that all address changes on licenses must occur within 10 days of moving.
You can complete this course by taking an online class at a cost of $50.
Kentucky also allows you to complete the course by watching a state traffic school video. To order a video call (800) 505-5095 or grab one at any participating Blockbuster Video store.
You can also attend a class to complete the course. Classes are offered at various locations throughout the state. Each class lasts four hours and only costs $15. For more information call the Division of Driver Licensing at (502) 564-1257.
If you get ticketed while driving in Kentucky you can ask the court to refer you to a traffic school in your home state.
This, however, will not free you of the fine. You will still need to pay the ticket. Whether your home state refers you to a traffic school is contingent on your state's policies.Local Traffic Schools
Choose a County
Organ Donation Survey
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸