- Location: Kentucky
Special Licenses in KentuckyPage Overview
If you want to drive a vehicle that accommodates 16 or more people including the driver (think buses, shuttles, and school buses), you need a commercial driver's license (CDL). DMV.org has prepared an entire section dedicated to Kentucky Commercial Drivers, including:
To drive a vehicle that accommodates fewer than 16 passengers, such as a taxi; or become a chauffeur, you don't need a special license. All you need is a regular Kentucky driver's license.
After you're hired, or as part of the hiring process, your new employer will inform you of any special training or other requirements you'll need.
To legally operate a motorcycle in Kentucky, you must have a motorcycle permit or license. To have a motorcycle permit or license, you must be at least 18 years old, or already have a valid driver's license.
Visit Motorcycle License and find out how to apply.
Scooters and Mopeds
You don't need a special license to operate a scooter in Kentucky; mopeds are a different story.
First, note that you only need a moped or regular driver's license if you plan to drive on public property. If you're 16 years old and already have a driver's permit, you can apply for a moped license. If you already have a driver's license or motorcycle license, you don't need an additional moped license.
You don't need a special license to operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV); however, there are a couple restrictions regarding age:
- Riders under the age of 12 can only operate an ATV under 70 ccs with parental supervision; riders over the age of 12 can operate an ATV over 70 ccs.
- Riders under the age of 16 can only operate an ATV under 90 ccs with parental supervision; riders over the age of 16 can operate an ATV over 90 ccs.
The Kentucky Driver Manual further covers ATV rules and regulations.Other Topics in This SectionArticles
- Especially for You: Information on Special Licenses
- Operating a Snow Mobile: Special Driver Licenses, Training, and Age Requirements
- What is a Special License, and Do You Need One?
- Driving All-Terrain Vehicles: Special Licenses, Training, and More for ATVs
- Special License Requirements: When and How to Apply for a Special License