Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Renewing Your CDL in Kentucky

    Pass Your CDL Written Exam with
    DMV Cheatsheets!

    Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:

    • Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
    • Study When & Where You Want
    • 24/7 Online Access

    Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed.

    How to Renew

    Once you receive your renewal notice in the mail, simply head to your county's Circuit Court Clerk's office with your DOT Medical Certificate and the renewal fee of $47.

    Renewal must be done in person, and you will need to show identification.

    HAZMAT Endorsement Renewal

    If you're seeking to keep your hazardous materials (HAZMAT) endorsement, you'll need to retest at the time of CDL renewal.

    Those who wish to renew their HAZMAT endorsement must undergo a fingerprint-based criminal background check. All CDL holders with the HAZMAT endorsement will get a notice from the DDL before the expiration.

    You may also be asked to take a new medical exam.

    Call (888) 655-9655 to make an appointment with the Kentucky State Police.

    In the event that the process isn't started in time, the endorsement holder may be able to have the 30-day application requirement waived. If this is the case for you, be prepared to provide one of the following:

    • Returned mail entry posted on your driving record
    • Copy of your log book showing evidence that you were unable to start the process because you were on the road at the time
    • Notarized letter from your employer

    Even if the 30-day application requirement is waived, you'll still be required to carry a valid CDL with the HAZMAT endorsement, as well as proof that the 30-day process has been started. You can do this by showing a copy of your receipt or an entry on your driving record.

    For general questions, contact the Transportation Security Agency or visit the Kentucky Security Threat Association.

    New Federal Requirements

    You must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with the Kentucky Division of Driver Licensing. This means you must self-certify one of the following driving categories:

    • Non-Excepted Interstate
    • Excepted Interstate
    • Non-Excepted Intrastate
    • Excepted Intrastate

    If you choose Non-Excepted Interstate, you must provide the Division of Driver Licensing with a federal medical certificate.

    Submit a completed self-certification application by:

    • Faxing to: (502) 564-3250
    • Scan and E-mail to:
    • Mailing to:
      • Division of Driver Licensing
      • 200 Metro St.
      • Frankfort, KY 40622

    For information regarding adding other endorsements, changing your current class of license, or dropping restrictions, visit our FAQ section for commercial drivers.

    Compare Commercial Insurance
    Rates in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.