Registration Renewal in Kentucky
Vehicle Registration Renewal in Kentucky
In Kentucky, you must renew your vehicle registration with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing.
You can renew your vehicle registration either online, by mail, or in person at your local KY DMV office.
About 45 days before your vehicle registration expires, the Kentucky DMV will send you a renewal notice in the mail. This notice contains important information that you will need in order to renew your registration, including your:
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Name and address.
- Registration expiration date.
- Renewal fee.
Didn't Receive a Renewal Notice?
If you don't have your renewal notice, you can request one by contacting your local KY DMV county clerk’s office. You are still responsible for renewing your KY vehicle registration on time, even if your renewal notice is missing.
In Kentucky, you can renew your vehicle registration either online, by mail, or in person.
You can renew your KY vehicle registration online if:
- Your current address is on file with the county clerk.
- You have proof of insurance (New policies less than 45 days old may not appear in the DMV system).
- You own your vehicle.
- You don't' have any unpaid taxes.
- Your KY vehicle registration is current.
- You don't have special or personalized license plates.
To renew online, use the Motor Vehicle Licensing System and enter your:
- License plate number. *
- Vehicle title number. *
- E-mail address.
- Phone number.
- Credit card information (see “Fees to Renew Your Vehicle Registration" below).
- NOTE: There is a convenience fee for online renewals.
If you provide an e-mail address, you will receive a confirmation e-mail; otherwise, you should print or save the confirmation page when you complete the transaction.
* The plate number and title number on your certificate of registration must be valid at the time of your renewal.
By Mail or In Person
To renew your KY vehicle registration by mail or in person, you will need:
- Your certificate of registration.
- Proof of your car insurance (must be the original; copies are not accepted).
- Payment. (See “Fees to Renew Your KY Vehicle Registration" below.)
- NOTE: You will be charged an additional $2 convenience fee for mailed-in renewals.
Mail the above documents to your local KY DMV county clerk office, or bring them to the office in person. If you renew by mail you should receive your decals in about 7 business days.
Your Kentucky registration renewal fee will be displayed on your registration renewal notice you receive from the Kentucky DMV. Your fee is determined based on the type of vehicle and license plate you have. Common registration renewal fees for vehicles with regular KY plates are:
- Standard non-commercial vehicle: $21.
- Motorcycle: $18.50.
- Farm vehicle: $31.
For a full list of registration renewal fees for special license plates, visit the Kentucky Motor Vehicle Licensing website.
You will also need to pay the following additional fees if you renew your vehicle registration online or by mail:
- Online: $5.
- By mail: $2.
Acceptable Forms of Payment
- Online transactions: VISA or MasterCard only.
- By mail transactions: Check or money order payable to “KY State Treasurer."
- In person transactions:
- Check or money order made payable to “KY State Treasurer."
- MasterCard or VISA credit card.
In Kentucky, you are not required to complete a vehicle safety or emissions inspection before you renew your registration.
If you're bringing a vehicle into Kentucky from out of state, you must have your vehicle identification number (VIN) inspected by your county sheriff before registering it with the KY DMV. For more information about registering your vehicle, see our Register Car in Kentucky page.
If your Kentucky registration certificate, plate, or decal is lost, stolen, or damaged, you can replace it by visiting your local KY Motor Vehicle Licensing office in person.
For more information, visit our following pages:
heroes have registered as organ donors.