Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Custom Built Car Registration in Kentucky

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    KY Custom Built Car Registration

    Custom-Built Car Registration in Kentucky

    In Kentucky, registering your custom-built car can be the same as registering any other vehicle, or it can be a much more tedious process―it all depends on where the car was built.

    On this page, you'll find information about how to get your custom-built vehicle registered and titled while you're in Kentucky or out of state.

    Out-of-State Custom Vehicles

    NOTE: If you bring the custom-built vehicle to Kentucky and do not have a title for it, Kentucky will not allow you to operate the vehicle legally. You'll need to contact your previous state and go through its process of getting a title for a custom-built vehicle before you can apply for a title in Kentucky.

    If your car was custom-built out of state, there's good news.

    You'll only need to follow the same registration process as you would for any other vehicle. You'll need to visit your local KY county clerk's office and:

    For additional information on the process of registering a vehicle in Kentucky, please visit our Car Registration page.

    In-State Custom Vehicles

    NOTE: After your custom-built vehicle is approved, you have exactly 60 days to apply for a title and register your vehicle. If you let the 60 days go by, you'll need to start the entire process over.

    If you custom-built your car in Kentucky, you'll need to take a few more steps. Your county clerk's office will need you to:

    • Gather all original labor receipts and invoices, as well as receipts and any former titles from parts purchased.
      • If you purchased certain parts from individuals and not businesses, you must have those sellers write a notarized statement with the following information: name, address, phone number, a list of parts sold, and the vehicle identification number (VIN) from the parts car.
    • Obtain a notarized, detailed labor statement from the person who built the vehicle. This will describe exactly what work was handled.
    • Complete an Application for Motor Vehicle Number or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) (Form TC 96-169).
    • Submit the license plate currently on the vehicle with the application (regardless how long it is valid for).

    Once you have a VIN, head to your sheriff's office to have the vehicle inspected and ensure there's no VIN already assigned.

    All information will be sent to the Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing, who will then send both you and your clerk an approval notice. Once you get your approval, take it to the clerk. If everything matches up, your title will be sent to you in the mail.

    As soon as your  county clerk office has all of the above, you will be issued a VIN..


    If there is a lien on your custom-built vehicle, your application will automatically be rejected by your local county clerk's office. You may need to have the lien holder submit a lien termination statement to your county clerk's office (where the lien is recorded).