- Location: Kentucky
Custom Built Car Registration in KentuckyCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Steps
1. Enter Your Zip:
In Kentucky, registering your custom-built car can be the same as registering any other vehicle, or it can be a much more tedious process―it all depends on where the car was built.
If your car was custom-built out of state―good news. You'll only need to follow the same registration process as you would for any other vehicle (submitting a completed Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title/Registration (form TC 96-182) and all applicable taxes to your County Clerk's office).
Note that if you bring the custom-built vehicle to Kentucky and don't have a title for it, Kentucky won't allow you to operate the vehicle legally. You'll need to contact your previous state and go through its process of getting a title for a custom-built vehicle before you can get a title in Kentucky.
If you custom-built the car in Kentucky, you'll need to take a few more steps:
- Gather all labor receipts and invoices, as well as receipts and any former titles from parts purchased.
- Obtain a notarized, detailed labor statement from the person who built the vehicle.
- Complete an Application for Motor Vehicle Number or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) (form TC 96-169).
- Take all of the above to your County Clerk's office to be issued a VIN.
- Once you have a VIN, head to your sheriff's office to have the vehicle inspected and ensure there's no VIN already assigned.
- All information will be sent to the Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing, who will then send both you and your clerk an approval notice.
- Once you get your approval, take it to the clerk. If everything matches up, your title will be sent to you in the mail.
MOST FREQUENTLY VISITED SECTIONS
Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks