Name Change in Kentucky
Kentucky Name Change Package - $29.95
Miss Now Mrs's Name Change Packages automates the completion of the required forms to change your name in Kentucky. Simply complete a quick questionnaire, print out the forms and file them. It couldn't be easier.
Name Change Package
Includes Forms for:
- Drivers License
- Vehicle Title
- Voter Registration
- US Passport
- Bank Notification
- Credit Card Notification
- Insurance Notification
For instructions, fees, and required documents to change your name with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, continue reading this page.
Before you can change your name on your KY driver’s license or ID card, you must first update your name on your Social Security card.
You’ll need to submit the following documents to the Social Security Administration (SSA) either by mail or in person:
- Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Proof of your:
- Identity (e.g. ID card, driver’s license, birth certificate).
- U.S. citizenship or lawful U.S. presence (e.g. citizenship certificate, U.S. passport, work visa and I-94).
- Name change (e.g. divorce decree, court order, marriage certificate).
The SSA will process your application and send you an updated Social Security card within about 10 business days. Your Social Security number (SSN) will remain the same; only your name will be updated.
For a complete list of required documents for a corrected card, visit the SSA website.
To find your local office, visit the SSA website.
If you’ve changed your name, you must update your Kentucky driver’s license within 10 days of the change. You will need to first change your name with the SSA and have your updated Social Security card before visiting a Kentucky Division of Driver Licensing office in person.
You will need to submit the following to change your name on your KY driver’s license or ID card:
- Proof of your name change, such as your:
- Court order.
- Marriage license.
- Divorce decree.
- Social Security card showing your new name.
- Payment for the $12 duplicate card fee.
The process of making a name change on your vehicle registration and certificate of title may differ depending on which Kentucky county you live in.
Generally, you will need to visit your local Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing office in person and provide:
- Proof of your name change (e.g. marriage license, court order, divorce decree).
- Your current title certificate and/or registration document.
- Payment for the duplicate title and/or registration fee.
For more information, contact your local county clerk’s office directly.
For instructions on obtaining a duplicate Kentucky registration or title certificate, visit our following pages:
When you change your name, you may need to pay the following fees for duplicate documents in Kentucky:
- Driver’s license/identification card: $12.
- Certificate of title: $6.
- Vehicle registration: Contact the Kentucky DMV.
NOTE: You may incur additional charges depending on your county office.
If you’ve changed your address in Kentucky, you must obtain a corrected driver’s license within 10 days of moving. You’ll need to visit your local county clerk’s office in person with proof of your new address.
For more information, see our Change of Address in Kentucky page.