Vehicle Code in Kentucky
The Kentucky legislature provides an online version of the Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS), which includes vehicle codes. This is beneficial because being familiar with, or at least being able to research, vehicle codes can come in handy should you need to find out about laws that pertain to the roadways or driving.
Reading the Kentucky motor vehicle code can help you gain a better understanding of the traffic law that led to your citation and help you determine whether or not you can make a case to contest your ticket.
The KY vehicle code is a great way to educate yourself of the exact language that dictates your driver's license, driving privilege, and vehicle regulations. If you need legal advice, you should consider contacting a lawyer.
Title XV of the KRS covers codes regarding roads, waterways, and aviation. You can find definitions, duties, funds, and penalties in the following chapters that relate specifically to public roads:
- Chapter 174: Transportation Cabinet
- Chapter 175: Turnpike Authority
- Chapter 175 A: County Turnpike Authority
- Chapter 176: Department of Highways
- Chapter 177: State and Federal Highways, Limited Access Facilities, Turnpikes, Road Bonds, Billboards, Recyclers
- Chapter 178: Country Roads, Grade Cross Elimination
- Chapter 179: Country Road Engineer and Maintenance of Public Roads
- Chapter 180: State Bridges, Tunnels, and Ferries
- Chapter 181: County and City Bridges, Tunnels, and Ferries
- Chapter 184: Public Road Districts
Title XVI of the KRS covers codes regarding motor vehicles. The following chapters contain the most commonly sought information by drivers:
- Chapter 186: Licensing of Motor Vehicles, Operators, and Trailers: Covers general provisions, motor vehicle licenses, operator's license, habitual violators, registration of trailers, nonresident violators' compact, penalties, etc.
- Chapter 186 A: Automated Motor Vehicle Registration System: Covers all automated registration and titling options, requirements, and processes, as well as liens, fees, taxes, exemptions, damaged vehicles, penalties, etc.
- Chapter 187: Financial Responsibility Law: Covers operating records, court reporting of unpaid judgments and convictions, satisfaction of judgments, suspension, installment payments, transfer of suspended registration, government-owned vehicles, insurance, penalties, etc.
- Chapter 188: Service of Process on Nonresident Motorists: Covers service of summon and complaint actions, continuances, application of process provisions to resident becoming nonresident, etc.
- Chapter 189: Traffic Regulations, Vehicle Equipment and Storage: Covers vehicle equipment, use of vehicle lights, child restraints, vehicle height, weight, and length limits, special permits, government trucks and trailers, motorcycles and bicycles, traffic rules, parking rules, slow-moving vehicles, emergency vehicles, public safety vehicles, penalties, etc.
- Chapter 189 A: Driving Under the Influence: Covers terms and conditions, penalties, hardship licenses, etc.
- Chapter 190: Motor Vehicle Sales: Covers license requirements, grounds for denial, suspension, and revocation, franchise information, manufacturer and distributor information, damages, public records, installment sales contracts, odometers, penalties, etc.
Whenever you need or want to check the status of your driver’s license, you can order a driving record report. This record will spell out if your driver’s license is currently valid. Should your license have been revoked or suspended, the report will indicate that according to what’s on record at the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet. This report will also show points against your license and, in some cases, information on any accidents you have had.
For more information, please visit our page on Driving Records in Kentucky.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.