Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Title Transfers in Kansas

    What is a Title Transfer?

    A title transfer must occur after a vehicle is exchanged between two different owners. The title is the documentation that is needed to make a vehicle your legal property.

    Examples of reasons why you might need to transfer a vehicle title include:

    • Selling or buying a vehicle
    • Removing a lienholder from the title
    • Giving a vehicle to a parent or other family member
    • Giving a vehicle as a Gift
    • Donating a vehicle to your favorite charity
    • Inheriting a vehicle
    • Changing names on the title after divorce or marriage

    Selling a Vehicle

    Drivers often opt to sell their vehicles privately instead of working with a licensed dealership. This transaction can be tricky, however, because both parties involved want to feel like they're getting a bargain. As a seller, you can make this transaction easier by purchasing a vehicle history report to show potential buyers your automobile is worth the asking price. To learn more, please visit our section dedicated to VHRs.

    You may need to follow these steps to complete the transfer of ownership after you've sold your vehicle:

    1. Enter the correct mileage on your Certificate of Title.
    2. Sign and date the title in the appropriate location. If you have lost, damaged, or misplaced your title, see our section on Replacing a Lost Title to learn how to obtain a duplicate.
    3. Ask the buyer to sign and date the title.
    4. The person buying your car will need to bring the Certificate of Title, proof of insurance, a signed title application, and payment for all applicable fees to the county treasurer's office.

    NOTE: Obtaining a Bill of Sale is a great way to provide extra documentation during the transfer of ownership of a vehicle. You can learn more about this form in our Bill of Sale section.

    Buying a Vehicle

    New Cars

    If you choose to purchase a new car from a dealership, the sales representative will assist you in completing all of the documents needed for the title transfer process.

    Used Cars

    When you've narrowed down your decision to just a few different options, order a vehicle history report online to make sure you know as much as possible about your purchase. Reliable transportation is an important investment, so ordering a report is a good way to save yourself from potential headaches down the road.

    After you've purchased your vehicle, you may need to follow these steps to make the sale official:

    1. Request that the seller sign and date the title. If the title was issued with a lien in place and it still shows the lien, you must also have the properly signed and notarized release of lien from the lienholder. If the seller does not offer the lien release, request it. It would have been sent to him or her when the loan was paid off and the lender released the lien.
    2. Add your signature and the current date to the title.
    3. Submit the completed Certificate of Title, proof of car insurance, a signed title application, and payment for all applicable fees to the county treasurer's office. The title fee is $10, but registration fees vary depending upon your county of residence. Sales and property taxes are based on the purchase price of your vehicle. The sales tax is usually collected at the dealership for new or used vehicles purchased there, and you get a sales tax receipt to take to the county treasurer's office when you go to register. When the sale is between private parties, you will be required to pay it at the time you apply to register and title the vehicle.

    NOTE: Never agree to purchase a vehicle without receiving the signed Certificate of Title. If the owner can't produce this document, there is a possibility he or she is not the legal owner of the vehicle.

    Transferring to Family

    A family transfer is when a vehicle is given to a:

    • Child
    • Parent
    • Grandparent
    • Grandchild

    To complete the title transfer, you may need to:

    1. The owner must fill out the Certificate of Tile by writing "Gift" as the purchase price.
    2. Ask the owner to complete an Affidavit of Relationship (Form TR-215).
    3. The recipient of the vehicle must visit the county treasurer's office with these documents and provide proof of insurance as well as a signed title application. The fee for a new title is $10, but registration fees will vary based on your county of residence.

    Gifting a Vehicle

    If you are the recipient of a gifted vehicle, you will need to follow these simple steps to obtain a title in your name:

    1. Ask the owner to complete the Certificate of Tile and write "Gift" as the purchase price.
    2. Have the owner complete the Vehicle Gift Certification portion of the Affidavit of Fact (Form TR-12).
    3. Take these documents to a county treasurer's office.
    4. Provide proof of insurance, a signed title application, and payment for all applicable fees. The title fee is $10; registration fees will vary by location.

    Donating a Vehicle

    While volunteering your time to support your favorite charity is always a good idea, donating your vehicle to a cause you believe in is a generous gesture that can earn you a great tax deduction.

    Inheriting a Vehicle

    To transfer a title after a death, you may need to:

    1. Bring to your county treasurer's office the vehicle's title, making sure the current mileage is documented.
    2. Provide a copy of the death certificate.
    3. Provide proof of insurance if you plan to keep the vehicle.
    4. Complete a Decedent's Affidavit (Form TR-83a).

    NOTE: If you are a surviving spouse and your name is on the title and separated from the deceased's name by "and," you are not required to request a revised title.

    Making Name Corrections

    Changing a Name

    The following steps may apply:

    1. Sign off on the title and sign your new name as the new owner. (If there is joint ownership connected by "and," both signatures are required.)
    2. For the price, write "Same Owner Dropping Name."
    3. Complete an Affidavit to a Fact (Form TR-12).
    4. Record the vehicle's current mileage.
    5. Bring the title and registration to your county treasurer's office.

    Deleting a Name

    To delete a name, you may need to:

    1. Write the corrected version of the names that should appear under "Name of Purchaser".
    2. Sign the title. If the owner's names are connected by "and", both need to sign the document.
    3. The new sole owner will need to visit the county treasurer's office to complete a title application. The title fee is $10.

    Adding a Name

    To add a name, you may need to:

    1. Use the assignment of title found on the back of the existing title. Write the new name under "Name of Purchaser."
    2. If there are multiple owners and the names are connected by "and," both will need to sign.
    3. The new owner must then take the title to his or her county treasurer's office and complete a title application.
    4. Pay the $10 title fee.

    Related Content

    Provide Feedback

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.

Looking for Title Transfers in Another State?