Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • RV & Motorhome Registration in Kansas

    Motor homes, campers, and recreational vehicles (RVs) are registered with the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR) under a separate type of RV title, though the registration process itself is the same as registering a passenger vehicle.

    The DOR also collects property tax on RVs and motor homes when they are initially registered.

    Keep reading for more information about RV registration in Kansas, including an explanation of what qualifies as an RV, renewing a registration, and an explanation of the taxes associated with RV purchase and registration.

    What Is an RV or Motorhome?

    An RV, according to Kansas law, is a vehicle or "vehicular-type unit" built on a chassis, that has been designed for use as temporary living quarters for camping, vacation, travel and general recreation. In addition, an RV must also have these features:

    • Electrical system stronger than 12 volts.
    • Provisions for plumbing.
    • Wired for area heating.

    The law further states that an RV is required to have its own "motive power" or be "mounted on or drawn by another vehicle." The body must not exceed 102 inches in width, and the length must not be longer than 45 feet.

    Registering an RV in Kansas

    The registration process for an RV is the same as for a passenger vehicle, but the DMV uses a different method for calculating the property tax on recreational vehicles. This method is explained below in the section "Property Taxes for Kansas RVs."

    Renewing a KS RV Registration

    Just as with any other registration renewal, you should receive a renewal notice in the mail before the expiration of the RV's registration. Follow the instructions in the renewal packet to renew the registration on your RV or motorhome.

    KS Property Taxes

    You will be required to pay the property tax on your motorhome when you initially register it with the Kansas DOR.

    The calculations used for assessing the property tax on an RV, motorhome, or camper are based on the age of the vehicle and the vehicle size and weight:

    • 5 years old or less: $70, plus $0.90 per 100 lbs. of weight.
    • 6 years old to 10 years old: $50, plus $0.70 per 100 lbs. of weight.
    • 11 years old or older: $30, plus $0.50 per 100 lbs. of weight.
    • 1981 and older models: $30 flat rate (there is no weight fee).

    For more details on the age, weight, and size calculations for RV and motorhome property tax figures, you can contact your local county treasurer's office.

    Manufactured or Mobile Homes

    Mobile homes and manufactured homes are not registered as vehicles, but they are required to be titled. The title must be transferred if the home is sold to a new owner; if the title is missing, the seller must apply for a replacement.

    Sales tax must be paid on new mobile or manufactured homes; it is not required on homes that were previously owned.

    For more information about titling a mobile home or manufactured home, see the DOR's questions and answers page.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.