RV & Motorhome Registration in Kansas
Motor homes, campers, and recreational vehicles (RVs) are registered in Kansas under a separate type of RV title.
An RV, according to Kansas law, is a vehicle or "vehicular-type unit" built on a chassis, that has been designed for use as temporary living quarters for camping, vacation, travel and general recreation. In addition, an RV must also have these features:
- Electrical system stronger than 12 volts.
- Provisions for plumbing.
- Wired for area heating.
The law further states that an RV is required to have its own "motive power" or be "mounted on or drawn by another vehicle." The body must not exceed 102 inches in width, and the length must not exceed 45 feet.
The registration process for an RV is the same as for a passenger vehicle but the DMV uses a different method for calculating the property tax.
Just as with any other registration renewal, you should receive notice in the mail before the expiration of the registration. Follow the instruction in the renewal packet to renew the registration on your RV or motorhome.
You will be required to pay the property tax on your motorhome when you initially register it.
The calculations used for assessing the property tax on an RV, motorhome, or camper are based on the age of the vehicle and the vehicle size and weight. Here are the base scales used:
Age of Vehicle:
- 5 years old or less: $70, plus $.90 per 100 pounds of weight.
- 6 years old to 10 years old: $50, plus $.70 per 100 pounds of weight.
- 11 years old or older: $30, plus $.50 per 100 pounds of weight.
- 1981 and older models: $30 flat rate (there is no weight fee).
For more details on the age, weight, and size calculations for RVs and motorhome property tax figures, contact your local county treasurer's office.Other Topics in This Section
Organ Donation Survey
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Car Inspection
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸