- Location: Kansas
RV & Motorhome Registration in Kansas
Get Free RV & Motor Home Insurance Quotes
Enter Your Zip Code:
Motor homes, campers, and recreational vehicles (RVs) are registered in Kansas under a separate type of RV title.
An RV, according to Kansas law, is a vehicle or "vehicular-type unit" built on a chassis, that has been designed for use as temporary living quarters for camping, vacation, travel and general recreation. In addition, an RV must also have these features:
- Electrical system stronger than 12 volts
- Provisions for plumbing
- Wired for area heating
The law further states that an RV is required to have its own "motive power" or be "mounted on or drawn by another vehicle." The body must not exceed 102 inches (8 1/2 ft.) in width and the length must not exceed 45 feet.
The registration process for an RV is the same as for a passenger vehicle but DMV uses a different method for calculating the property tax.
Just as with any other registration renewal, you should receive notice about 60 days before the expiration of the registration. Follow the instruction in the renewal packet to renew the registration on your RV or motorhome.
You will be required to pay the property tax on your motorhome when you register it for the first time.
The calculations used for assessing the property tax on an RV, motorhome, or camper are based on the age of the vehicle and the vehicle size and weight. Here are the base scales used:
Age of Vehicle:
- Five years or less: $70, plus $.90 per 100 pounds of weight
- Six years to 10 years: $50, plus $.70 per 100 pounds of weight
- 11 years or more: $30, plus $.50 per 100 pounds of weight
- 1981 and older models: $30 flat rate, no weight fee
For more details on the age, weight, and size calculations for RVs and motorhome property tax figures, contact your local county treasurer's office.Other Topics in This Section
- Register Car
- Registration Renewal
- Registration & Insurance
- Replacing a Lost Registration
- RV & Motorhome Registration
- Custom Built Car Registration
- Boat Registration and Licenses
- Title Transfers
- Replacing a Lost Title
- Salvaged Vehicles
- Special Vehicles
- Drivers with Disabilities
- License Plates & Placards
- Smog & Emission Checks