Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Plate Surrender in Kansas

    Registering a car?

    It's a good time to check car insurance rates

    Find the lowest rate among top providers.

    Surrendering your Kansas license plates comes into play if you plan on applying for a refund on your motor vehicle taxes. Read on for more on this topic along with other license-plate-transfer scenarios.

    Moving to Kansas

    After calling Kansas home you have 90 days to register your car with your county treasurer’s office. At this time you do not have to surrender your old plates, unless required by your former state’s DMV.

    Also at this time, you’ll need to choose your new Kansas plates. You can opt for standard plates, or choose from a variety of specialized plates for an additional cost.

    Visit our relocation guide for additional information on Kansas.

    Moving from KS

    After relocating, you must surrender your Kansas license plates only if you intend on applying for a refund on the unused portion of your motor vehicle taxes. Otherwise, unless your new state demands the surrendering of your plates, you can do with them as you so choose―hang them on a wall, use as novelty serving trays…

    For relocation guidance, visit our Moving Out of Kansas page.

    Selling a Used Car in Kansas

    Remove the license plates after selling your car. They belong only to you. It is against the law for another driver to use your plates (antique plates the lone exception). You may then transfer the plates to another vehicle under your name.

    For more on selling your car, visit our Title Transfers page.

    Buying a Used Car in KS

    The seller surrenders the car title, but not the license plates.

    Check out our Vehicle Title Transfers page for additional buying information.

    Other Topics in This Section