- Location: Kansas
Organ Donation in KansasPage Overview
If you donate your organs upon your death, you could potentially save or enhance the lives of many other people. Each day, thousands of people are waiting for an organ or tissue transplant. Some of them will not make it before a suitable donor can be found.
Here is a list of some of the most needed organs for transplant:
Most needed tissues include:
- Heart valves
Almost every organ and tissue in the body can be used in various ways to help save, lengthen, and enhance the life of another person in need of transplant material.
Let your family know your intentions as soon as you decide to become a donor. Here are a few facts you might like to share with concerned or reluctant family members:
- Your family won't be charged any fees for the donation.
- The body of an organ donor is never desecrated; an open casket service or viewing may be held after an organ collection.
- The collection of organs is carried out in a completely sterile, professional surgical environment.
- Organ donation is only an option after all other attempts have been made to save your life.
- Donor organs are matched to waiting recipients through the National Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN).
- Organ allocation and distribution is not based on social status, gender, or age.
- Organs may be donated at any age. At the time of your death, medical professionals will determine whether your organs are usable.
You may register to become an organ donor at any age, but if you're younger than 18, your family will make your organ donation decision.
Become a donor by:
- Completing the donor registration form.
- Carrying your signed organ donor card with your driver's license or ID card.
When you sign the donor registration form, your name is added to a confidential database of potential donors, maintained by the Midwest Transplant Network.
When you renew your license or ID card, let the Kansas Division of Vehicles know you have chosen to become a donor. Your new driver's license or ID card will display the red heart organ donor symbol on the front of the document.Other Topics in This Section