Fight Traffic Ticket in Kansas

SUMMARY: How to Fight a Kansas Traffic Ticket

To fight your ticket in Kansas, you'll generally need to submit a "not guilty" plea at your scheduled arraignment date. Refer to your KS traffic ticket for detailed instructions, or contact the appropriate district or municipal court.

Fighting Your KS Traffic Ticket

You can plead "guilty" and pay your Kansas traffic ticketOR plead "not guilty" and fight the ticket in court.

Pay Ticket
(Plead Guilty or No Contest)

  • Pay the fine, possibly online.
  • Risk license suspension or revocation, depending on the number and nature of the violation.
  • Pay higher auto insurance rates.
  • Possibly attend a traffic school to satisfy your ticket and get an insurance discount.

Learn more about
Paying your Traffic Ticket »

Fight Ticket
(Plead Not Guilty or Nolo Contendere)

  • Contest your ticket and schedule a hearing.
  • Present your case, possibly with a traffic ticket attorney.
  • Gain no penalties if found not guilty (except applicable court/attorney fees).
  • Appeal the guilty verdict (if applicable).

What It Means to Fight Your Kansas Traffic Ticket

To fight your KS traffic ticket, be prepared to:

NOTE: In some cases, you can file an appeal.

Avoid Additional Charges

Your Kansas traffic citation will include a date by which you must:

  • Pay the fine (if you choose this option).
  • Show up in court and enter a "not guilty" plea.
  • Contact the court to schedule a hearing.

Regardless of how you choose to handle the citation or notify the court, you must take action by the date on your traffic ticket; otherwise, you could face a driver's license suspension and possibly an arrest warrant.

Pleading Guilty or No Contest in Kansas

Depending on your moving violation and KS driving history, you might find it more convenient to plead "guilty" or "no contest" and pay your fine. Some courts even allow online traffic ticket payments.

Refer to Paying Your Traffic Ticket in KS for details about this option.

Notify the Kansas District or Municipal Court

Determine Where to Plead

Your KS traffic citation includes information about the court handling your case. This is where you'll plead "not guilty" and have your hearing.

For reference, Kansas municipal courts handle city-level citations and district courts handle county-level citations.

Visit our page about Lost KS Traffic Tickets if you've misplaced your traffic citation.

Inform the Kansas Court

To inform the traffic court of your "not guilty" plea, you can:

  • Show up on the date printed on your traffic ticket. Tell the judge you want to plead "not guilty." The court will schedule a hearing.
  • Call the court before the date on your ticket to notify the clerk of your "not guilty" plea and receive a hearing date.

NOTE: Some courts in Kansas might vary in how they accept a "not guilty" plea or schedule hearings. If the information on your KS traffic ticket is unclear, you should contact the appropriate district or municipal court to find out how to go about entering your plea.

Rescheduling or Postponing Your KS Court Hearing

In Kansas, you can reschedule or postpone your hearing as long as you call the court within a reasonable time period (i.e., not the day of your hearing). This is true for court dates printed on your KS traffic ticket, too.

NOTE: If you fail to appear in court, you may be responsible for additional charges and/or a driver' license suspension.

Hire a Kansas Traffic Ticket Attorney

An experienced traffic ticket lawyer can help you both inside and outside the courtroom.

Consult a KS traffic attorney if you:

  • Need help preparing and presenting your case.
  • Have evidence or witnesses you want to present in court.
  • Would like to negotiate a plea agreement.
  • Suddenly need to reschedule your court hearing.
  • Want to appeal a "guilty" verdict.

Prepare Your Case

Keep the following points in mind as you prepare for your KS court hearing:

  • The judge will listen to your side. This is your “testimony," which you should practice beforehand.
  • Give yourself plenty of time to gather evidence and decide on witnesses. Some courts require subpoenas.
  • Depending on your moving violation, the judge might offer a plea agreement. Consider whether you'd be open to agreeing to this option.

Again, a skilled traffic ticket attorney in Kansas can help with each of these points.

Plead Your Case Before a Judge or Jury

In Kansas, most traffic ticket hearings are cut-and-dried. You can expect:

  • Opening statements from both sides.
  • Time for testimonies (including witnesses) and evidence from both sides.
  • Time for examination and cross-examination.
  • Closing statements from both sides.
  • The judge's verdict.

If the judge finds you " guilty," you can take care of all the violation's related ticket fines and penalties, or you can file an appeal.

Filing an Appeal in Kansas

Judge find you guilty? If so, you can try to appeal the verdict.

Your KS district or municipal court will provide specific instructions after your hearing, or your traffic ticket lawyer will handle the process.

Check Your KS Driving Record

Kansas does not assign points to traffic violations, but you still face a driver's license suspension or revocation for certain offenses.

Whether the judge finds you "guilty" or "not guilty," check your KS driving record to make sure no violations appear that shouldn't appear.

Shop for Better Auto Insurance Rates

Some auto insurance companies increase your rates if you're convicted of traffic violations. This will depend on your provider, your driving history, and any specific policy or reward incentives you have; so check with your insurance agent.

If you find out you're facing increased rates the next time you renew, you can start shopping for lower rates now to maintain coverage without paying more.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Fight Traffic Ticket in Another State?