Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Custom Built Car Registration in Kansas

    Custom Built Car Registration in Kansas

    One might wonder, at first glance, why it is so important to keep track of your custom-built vehicle paperwork, making sure that everything you purchase matches the numbers listed on the receipts or invoices without exception. Another worry is why it can be so difficult to register a custom-built vehicle in Kansas.

    Sadly, the reason has to do with the thousands of motor vehicles that are stolen each year in the United States.

    In order to protect consumers, cut down on auto theft, and put a damper on the multi-million dollar stolen parts business, the Department of Revenue (DOR) Division of Vehicles, along with the Kansas Motor Vehicle Enforcement (MVE) program conducted by the Kansas Highway Patrol, makes inspections on certain types of vehicles before they are determined eligible for a title and registration in Kansas.

    Kansas Vehicle Inspections

    Here is a list of the vehicles in Kansas that are required to undergo a KS vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection before being titled and registered:

    • A vehicle whose title originated in a state other than Kansas or came from a foreign country.
    • Vehicles that have been built, restored, or reconstructed using parts from multiple vehicles.
    • Vehicles where the validity of the VIN is in question.
    • Vehicles purchased out of state on a bill of sale only.
    • An antique auto or truck (model year 1950 or newer) that was purchased in Kansas on a bill of sale only.

    Kansas inspections are conducted by members of the Kansas Highway Patrol. If your car passes inspection, you will receive a Vehicle Inspection Form (Form MVE-1) confirming that the vehicle's VIN is correct and genuine, and that it does agree with the number shown on your title.

    You must bring the vehicle to your inspection location, along with the title, your driver's license, and a way to pay the inspection fee (see below).

    Out-of-State VIN Verification

    In some cases, the DOR will accept a VIN inspection from out of state. Here is a list of those cases:

    • The owner is on active military duty in another state.
    • The owner is a full-time student in a out-of-state school.
    • The vehicle is temporarily out of state.

    If you meet any of these criteria, the DOR encourages you to complete a  Kansas Resident/Business Out of State VIN Verification (Form TR-65) in lieu of the Vehicle Inspection Form (Form MVE-1).

    Inspection Fees in KS

    The amount you'll need to pay for an inspection in Kansas will vary:

    • $20 for regular MVE-1 inspection.
    • $25 for Salvage/Prior Salvage/Rebuilt Salvage inspection.

    Inspection Locations

    If your vehicle is homemade, made from a kit, or made from salvaged pieces, or if there are any questions concerning steps you need to take before your VIN inspection you will need to contact the Division of Vehicles at (785) 296-3963. When you have all of your paperwork and you are ready to have your vehicle inspected, you can contact the Highway Patrol in your county to find the closest inspection station.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.