Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Boat Registration and Licenses in Kansas

    Compare Boat Insurance Rates and Save!

    Kansas Boat Registration and Licensing

    All boat registrations are processed by the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism.

    To register your boat in Kansas, you'll need to visit your local Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism office , State Park office, regional office, or boat registration agent.

    NOTE: You must have your Certificate of Number aboard your watercraft at all times.

    What to Register in Kansas

    In Kansas, you will need to apply for registration if your boat is powered by:

    • Sail.
    • Gasoline.
    • Diesel.
    • Electricity.

    This also includes personal watercraft and sailboats.

    Non-resident boats currently registered in another state being used in Kansas for less than 60 consecutive days do not need to be registered.

    Boat Requirements and Procedures

    In Kansas, you can register your boat either in person or by mail. Regardless of which option you choose, your paperwork requirements will vary depending on how you obtained your boat:

    • Purchased from a dealer: Sales tax receipt or STD 8 tax form.
    • Purchased from a private party: Bill of sale or registered owner's certificate marked as sold.
    • Purchased from an out-of-state dealer: Bill of sale indicating sales tax paid (if you didn't pay the tax, do it at a county treasurer's office and get the receipt).

    In Person

    By Mail

    To register your boat by mail, you'll need to send your completed Application for Certificate of Number Kansas Boating Act, bill of sales/sales tax receipt, and fee payment to:

    KDWP Operations Office
    512 S.E. 25th Ave
    Pratt, KS 67214

    Boat Registration Fees in Kansas

    All boats: $32.50

    Boat Registration Renewals and Replacements

    Boat registrations are valid for 3 years. Approximately 6 weeks before your registration expiration date, you'll receive a renewal notice.

    Be sure to keep your registration address current by notifying the KDWP of any address changes.

    Renew in Person

    Simply go to one of the registration locations listed above with your renewal notice and fee payment.

    Renew Online

    Visit the renewal site. You'll need to have your hull ID and Kansas registration numbers to use the online system.

    Pay your fee with your VISA, MasterCard, or American Express cards; there is a small convenience fee.

    Replace Lost Registration

    Replace a damaged or lost boat registration by sending a request in writing (along with the $12.50 payment) to:

    Department of Wildlife and Parks
    512 S.E. 25th Ave
    Pratt, KS 67214

    You can also replace your boat registration by visiting a regional office or State Park office.

    Boater Safety Courses

    Anyone born on or after January 1, 1989  must complete a safety course in order to operate a sailboat or motor boat in Kansas. Those under 21 years old must complete an approved boater education course in order to operate a boat without direct supervision. No one under the age of 12 years old is allowed to operate a motorized boat without the supervision of someone at least 18 years old, even if they have taken a safety course.

    Receive your boater education card by completing a course through one of the following methods:

    Even if you're not required to take a class, these courses offer a good way to become a safer boater, and could reduce your insurance rates.

    Boat Insurance Kansas

    If you do not already carry insurance for your watercraft, you may want to take a few moments to read our page about Boat Insurance.

    Purchasing adequate insurance on your boat could protect you and your passengers if an accident ever happens.

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.