Bill of Sale Requirements in Kansas

The Basics

A bill of sale is similar to a receipt; it shows the amount of money paid for a vehicle, the seller's name, the buyer's name and can even record such information as the odometer reading and any terms related to the sale.

Proof of Purchase Price

In Kansas, the DMV has an Affidavit of Purchase Price to use in the transfer or sale of a motor vehicle. There is also the required Odometer Disclosure Statement (Form TR-59) that must accompany any vehicle 10 years old or newer.

Clear Title

You also need to be sure that the back of the title has the signature and hand printed names of both buyer and seller. The purchase price of the vehicle should also be listed on the title.

Quiet Title Action

It is of the utmost importance that you get a clear title, with all paperwork completed and the title signed off in the correct places. If you are on your way to meet a seller, have a copy of the Affidavit of Purchase or a blank bill of sale to complete.

It is strongly suggested that you make sure you have all of your paperwork in place before you and the seller finalize the sale. If you purchase a vehicle from a private party and later discover that there is a problem with the necessary forms or the title, and you cannot locate the seller, you must begin the process for a "quiet title action."

A Court Order May Be Required

You will need to go to court and request that the judge issue a court order to the Department of Revenue, so that they may change the title of the vehicle. This process may take up to several weeks to complete. During the waiting time, it will not be legal for you to drive the vehicle.

Out of State Purchase

If you purchase a vehicle from a business or from a private party located outside of Kansas, you'll need the Affidavit of Purchase form to be completed.

Generic Bill of Sale

To assist you in finding a form, we provide links to generic forms from our sponsors.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Bill of Sale Requirements in Another State?