When To Assume Higher Risk With Auto Insurance
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
One of the easiest ways to lower your auto insurance premium is to assume higher risk. To do so, you have two options:
- Taking on higher deductibles.
- Lowering or dropping your full car insurance coverage.
If you have a vehicle that's at least 10 years old and has lost its value, consider adjusting your full car insurance coverage. One way to do this is to drop collision and comprehensive protection. Otherwise, you're probably paying for more insurance than you need.
For instance, if your vehicle's current value is listed at $1,750 and you have a collision policy with a $3,500 limit, you're paying for far too much insurance protection. You could easily save yourself money by dropping the entire policy and assuming all of the risk of the vehicle. This is especially wise if you don't have long-term plans for the vehicle and limit its use to running local errands.
For help in determining your car's value, consult either the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) or Kelley Blue Book.
Assuming the risk of a higher deductible is a fast and easy way to lower your insurance premiums. The difference between say a $250 deductible and a $1,500 deductible could be as much as several hundred dollars. The actual difference, of course, depends on your provider and current vehicle situation.
But before assuming the financial risk of a higher deductible for your auto insurance policy, ask yourself the following:
- How much money do I have in my savings account? If your account balance stands at $637 it would not make financial sense to carry a $1,000 deductible. Otherwise, if you're involved in an accident, you won't have enough money to cover your deductible. And until you pay the deductible, your insurance provider won't kick in a single dollar.
- Am I prone to car accidents? If you answer no, you should give strong consideration to a higher deductible.
- How long is my daily work commute? If you work from home or take public transportation, assuming more risk may be a wise decision.
Visit our Insurance Center to learn more about full coverage auto insurance policies, your state's liability insurance requirements, and ways to score discounts for lower auto insurance premiums.
In This Section
Other Topics in This Section
- What To Do If Your Auto Insurance Policy Lapses
Tips On Handling An Auto Insurance Lapse And What To Do If You Face Car Insurance Cancellation. Immediately Reinstate Insurance To Avoid Further Penalties.
- Who Needs High Auto Insurance Deductibles
How High Auto Insurance Deductibles Suit Certain Drivers. Get Info On Circumstances That Call For Higher Car Insurance Deductibles. Save Money With An Auto Insurance Policy That Suits Your Needs.
- Who Needs Low Auto Insurance Deductibles
How Low Auto Insurance Deductibles Suit Certain Drivers. Learn More On When Lower Car Insurance Deductibles Are A Good Idea. Find An Auto Insurance Policy That Suits Your Needs.
- Benefits Of Increasing Car Insurance Deductibles
Learn More On Higher Deductible Auto Insurance. Look Online For The Benefits Of Increasing Car Insurance Deductibles. Find Out Why It Can Save You Money On Insurance Rates.
- Reasons To Change Auto Insurance Companies
Top Reasons To Change Auto Insurance Companies. Switch Car Insurance Providers When An Insurance Policy Doesn't Meet Your Needs Or Budget. Insist On Quality Customer Service And Products.
- How To Review Your Current Auto Insurance Policy
Tips On How To Review Your Auto Insurance Policy. Car Insurance Can Be Tricky. Be Sure You Understand Your Auto Insurance Policy Coverage Before Making Car Insurance Claims.
- Penalties For Making A Late Auto Insurance Payment
Info On Penalties For Paying Your Auto Insurance Premium Late. Maintain Car Insurance At All Times. Stay On Top Of Insurance Policy Payments To Avoid Late Fees And Nonrenewal.
- When To Assume Higher Risk With Auto Insurance
Know When To Assume Higher Risk When Buying An Auto Insurance Policy. Not All Vehicles And Drivers Require Full Car Insurance Coverage. Learn More On Auto Insurance Policies Online.
- How To Combine Coverage On Homeowners And Auto Insurance
Steps On Combining Homeowners Insurance And Auto Insurance. Learn More On The Benefits And Insurance Discounts Associated With Combined Coverage.
- What To Do If An Auto Insurance Company Denies Coverage
How To Handle Being Denied Auto Insurance Coverage. Learn What To Do If Car Insurance Companies Won't Cover You. You Might Have To Pay A High Insurance Premium.
- When To Compare Auto Insurance Quotes
Learn When It's A Good Time To Compare Auto Insurance Quotes. Easily Shop Online For Car Insurance 24/7. Compare Quotes Often To Find Competitive Insurance Rates.
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Suspended License
Steps On Getting Car Insurance Coverage With A Suspended Drivers License. Options For A Suspended License Could Include SR 22. Find More On Auto Insurance Online.
- How To Add A Car To Your Auto Insurance Policy
Info On Adding Another Car To Your Auto Insurance Policy. Combining Car Insurance Coverage Can Save You Money. Learn How To Lower Your Insurance Premium By Bundling Insurance Policies.
Insurance Resource Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.