Top Reasons To Buy Gap Insurance
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Unlike collision insurance and comprehensive coverage―which only covers what the vehicle is worth, in the event of theft or a total loss accident―gap insurance covers the gap between what the vehicle is worth and what you still owe on the vehicle loan.
For example, if your vehicle is only worth $8,000 at the time it is stolen, but you still owe $9,500 on the auto loan, gap coverage will cover the remaining $1,500.
For this reason, if you lease a car, or if your vehicle is still under lien, you might want to consider purchasing gap insurance.
An auto lien is essentially the contract you sign when you agree to finance a vehicle. An auto lien document verifies the lender’s hold on the financed vehicle. When you finance a vehicle, you can go about it in several ways, to include the following:
- Put little to no money down, with or without a vehicle trade in.
- Put some money down, with or without a vehicle trade in.
- Put a lot of money down, with or without a vehicle trade in.
If you put little to no money down, or if your vehicle trade in is not worth much, purchasing gap insurance is typically advisable. On the other hand, if you put enough money down that there is likely not to be a gap in what you owe and what the vehicle is worth, you might not require gap coverage.
Gap insurance applies to used cars, new cars, and leased vehicles, with the following exceptions:
- Balances carried over from a prior loan or lease.
- Overdue leases.
- Overdue loan payments.
- Prior damage expenses.
- Extended warranties.
- Equipment installed after the vehicle has left the factory floor.
In other words, you might still be liable for certain out of pocket expenses, even if you have gap coverage. That said, purchasing gap insurance will still reduce the amount you have to pay out of pocket, in the event of a total loss.
Gap insurance is often offered as part of a lease or loan agreement, but is it typically cheaper to purchase gap coverage from your car insurance company. The actual cost of gap insurance depends on several factors, such as the estimated worth of your vehicle, and the details of the auto lien.
You can compare gap insurance rates online, or by contacting the Insurance Department in your state.
In This Section
Other Topics in This Section
- Top Reasons To Buy Liability Insurance
The Benefits Of Liability Insurance. Many States Require Liability Coverage To Protect Drivers In Auto Accidents. Learn More On Liability Auto Insurance Before Buying A Car Insurance Policy.
- Top Reasons To Buy Bodily Injury Coverage
Bodily Injury Coverage And Personal Injury Protection Info. Find Out If This Car Insurance Coverage Is Worth Adding To Your Auto Insurance Policy Before You Get In An Auto Accident.
- Top Reasons To Buy Property Damage Coverage
Learn The Benefits Of Property Damage Coverage And Physical Damage Protection. Get Car Insurance And Auto Accident Info To Make An Educated Decision When Buying An Auto Insurance Policy.
- Top Reasons To Buy Non Owner Liability Coverage
Learn Who Needs Non Owner Liability Coverage. Find Online Info On Auto Insurance And Liability Insurance Before You Get Behind The Wheel Of A Borrowed Vehicle. Car Insurance Policies Vary.
- Top Reasons To Buy Comprehensive Insurance
Learn The Benefits Of Comprehensive Insurance. Determine If Physical Damage Protection Is A Type Of Car Insurance You Should Buy. Find Auto Insurance Info Online.
- Top Reasons To Buy Collision Insurance
Find The Benefits Of Collision Insurance Online. Get Info On Auto Insurance That Protects You In Case Of An Auto Accident. Learn More On Physical Damage Protection And Car Insurance.
- Top Reasons To Buy Medical Payments Insurance
Get Info On Medical Payments Insurance And Auto Insurance That Covers Personal Injury And Medical Bills. Learn More On Car Insurance That Covers Bodily Injury In An Auto Accident.
- Top Reasons To Buy Rental Reimbursement Insurance
Rental Reimbursement Insurance Info. More On Car Insurance Covering Rental Car Expenses After An Auto Accident. Determine If You Need To Buy Auto Insurance That Pays If You Rent A Car.
- Top Reasons To Buy Uninsured Motorist Insurance
Why It's Smart To Buy Uninsured Motorist Insurance. In The Case Of A Car Wreck With An Uninsured Driver, Uninsured Motorist Coverage Pays For More Expenses Than Regular Auto Insurance.
- Top Reasons To Buy Underinsured Motorist Insurance
Reasons To Buy Underinsured Motorist Insurance. If You Get In A Car Accident With An Underinsured Driver, This Type Of Auto Insurance Covers More Expenses Than Regular Car Insurance.
- Top Reasons To Buy Roadside Assistance Insurance
Info On Roadside Assistance Insurance And Emergency Road Service Coverage. Some Auto Insurance Providers Offer ERS Insurance For Tow Truck Expenses And More.
- Top Reasons To Buy Gap Insurance
If you lease or have a loan on your car, find out why gap insurance, also known as loan-lease gap coverage, can Find out how this coverage can help protect your finances.
- Top Reasons To Buy Loan Lease Coverage
Protect An Auto Loan Or Car Lease With Loan Lease Coverage. Look Online For Car Insurance And Auto Lien Info. Some Lenders Require Specific Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage.
- Top Reasons To Buy Hired Auto Insurance
Guide To Hired Auto Insurance And Non Owned Vehicle Liability Insurance. Learn More On Car Insurance Coverage If You Are Involved In An Auto Accident While Driving A Car That Isn't Yours.
Insurance Resource Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.