Search & Choose State
Compare Rates & Save

Enter Zip Code:

  • State Commercial Insurance Filings

    State Commercial Insurance Filings

    Commercial motor vehicles that are registered or garaged in a state are required to have commercial liability insurance coverage and, to ensure that commercial autos have adequate insurance coverage, owner operators and certain businesses that transport cargo across intrastate lines must submit commercial insurance filings to state offices (e.g. departments of insurance).

    NOTE: State commercial insurance filing laws apply to drivers who transport cargo within state lines. Drivers who operate commercial vehicles or transport cargo outside state lines must also adhere to federal filing laws.

    State Commercial Insurance Filing

    State commercial insurance is obtained through privately owned insurance carriers. Commercial drivers can also secure coverage through licensed producers that are state certified. For example, in New Jersey you can obtain commercial insurance through the New Jersey Auto Insurance Plan.

    Check with your state’s department of insurance to ask about getting coverage through a state certified plan.

    Types of state commercial auto insurance filings include:

    • Form E: Confirms that your commercial auto insurance meets state guidelines.
    • Form F: Policy endorsement that customizes your coverage to meet financial guidelines in your state.
    • Form H: Declares that you have sufficient cargo liability insurance.
    • Form K: Cancels a previous state insurance filing.

    Be aware that some states require you to also file additional forms.

    Obtaining Commercial Insurance Forms

    Commercial insurance forms are available at state departments of insurance and/or departments of transportation. Privately owned auto insurance companies can file the required forms for you.

    When you open your policy ask your insurance agent to complete all required state filings on your behalf. Make sure that you get a copy of the print out that acknowledges that the form was received by the state. It can take 48 hours or more for state commercial motor vehicle filings to be processed.

    Regardless of the state in which you operate your commercial vehicle, work with a licensed auto insurance company. This is important because insurance companies must also adhere to state laws.

    For example, specific laws vary from state to state, but generally auto insurance companies are prohibited from selling commercial auto insurance policies before they file a policy form with the Commissioner at the Department of Insurance in the state that they sell the policy in. Working with a reputable, licensed insurance company can help to ensure that you get sufficient coverage for your commercial vehicle at reasonable rates.

    Compare Commercial Insurance Rates in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    Find Your
    Local DMV Office