The emergence of scooters as a popular alternative form of transportation makes it easier to find insurance coverage. Even thought scooters can't sustain speeds that would result in extensive damage, insurance protection―regardless if required or not―is still a pragmatic idea. This becomes especially apparent if you ever have the misfortune of colliding with a car.
Buy Scooter Insurance
Just like traditional liability insurance requirements, scooter insurance regulations and requirements vary by state. Insurance amounts, whether required or not, will be determined by the size of your scooter's engine. Some states have lower cc cap numbers, but in general scooters with engines smaller than 50 cc are classified as mopeds, requiring, if at all, limited coverage amounts. Generally, if the engines are 50 cc or larger, they will be classified motorcycles, necessitating motorcycle insurance.
Not every insurance company offers scooter insurance. But those that do, will probably offer:
- Collision: Covers your scooter for damages resulting from a collision.
- Liability: Protects you against major medical costs if say you hit a pedestrian or bicyclist.
- Medical: Covers your medical costs sustained in a scooter accident.
Just like cars and motorcycles, scooter insurance rates are be based on various factors, including:
- Size of engine (as explained above).
- Use of anti-theft devices.
- Weekly mileage.
- Scooter-related statistics in your area. If, for example, you live in a city with a high scooter-accident rate, your premiums will be higher.
- Your scooter-riding experience.
Shop for Scooter Insurance
Before shopping around for scooter insurance, check with your car insurance provider (if applicable). If it carries scooter insurance it may offer you a "bundle" discount (a popular practice insurance companies offer to clients who carry multiple policies).
If your insurance provider does not offer scooter protection, shop around and compare quotes. The more quotes you obtain, the better your chances of finding a rate that fits your budget and scooter needs.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!