Search & Choose State
Compare Rates & Save

Enter Zip Code:

  • Intrastate Truck Filings

    Intrastate Truck Filings

    Intrastate trucking and cargo transportation involves trade, traffic, and transportation within a single state. In this case, the driver does not leave the state in which the vehicle is registered.

    Commercial drivers and commercial trucking businesses that deal exclusively in intrastate commerce must comply with the laws of their state as well as any applicable local regulations. The only federal laws that apply to this type of business activity are the requirements for getting a CDL, alcohol and drug testing for CDL drivers, and minimum insurance requirements. Compliance with federal insurance regulations requires that you submit certain intrastate truck filings or commercial insurance forms.

    Processing Commercial Auto Insurance Filings

    In order to process insurance filings, you may need to provide your commercial insurance carrier with the following information:

    • Social Security number
    • Business address
    • Doing Business As (DBA) name
    • Phone number
    • Docket number
    • Department of Transportation number
    • Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

    Types of Intrastate Truck Filings

    Types of federal intrastate truck filings your insurance company may need to submit on your behalf include:

    • Form E filings prove that your commercial liability insurance is in compliance with your state's financial responsibility laws.
    • Form F filings act as an endorsement to your policy stating that it conforms to your state's laws regarding financial responsibility.
    • Form H filings are not available in all states. When this filing is available, however, it provides documentation of sufficient cargo liability insurance.
    • Form K filings are needed when you want to cancel a previous state insurance filing. They are submitted to your state agency that regulates motor carriers.

    If you need additional information about the necessary intrastate truck filings for your commercial vehicles, contact your insurance agent or your state's commercial driver regulatory agency.

    Find Your
    Local DMV Office