How To Report A Car Insurance Claim OnlineCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:Page Overview
It wasn't too long ago when filing an auto insurance claim meant calling your carrier and waiting an agonizing amount of time on hold to give your report to a claims representative.
Now, though, many insurers give you the option of providing your claim information online. This means you can file your claim at your convenience - at any time - without dealing with hold times or other phone annoyances. With some insurers, filing online is your only option.
Here's a primer on what you should expect if you file your claim online.
The exact process for starting a claim differs with each carrier.
Some will direct you to a page where you'll need to enter your password and user name. Others allow you to bypass that step, and identify yourself by entering your auto policy number, Social Security number, or some other unique manner of identifying yourself.
Then, it's just a matter of following the instructions provided by your insurer. Most companies make this task as easy to complete as possible, even for those who don't spend a lot of time online.
Each insurer handles the information-gathering process in a different manner, but you should at least expect to provide the following types of information:
- Policy number (listed on your insurance card).
- Date of the accident.
- Location of the accident.
- Description of how the accident occurred.
- Name, address, license plate, and insurance information for the other party involved.
- Name of the police department involved (if applicable).
- Police report number (if applicable).
After filing your online car insurance claim, your carrier will contact you to continue the process.
Depending on the type of claim and how your insurer handles claims, it may send a representative to inspect your car. Or, you may be asked to take your car to an insurer-approved repair shop for estimates, or to a shop of your choice.
If your provider approves your claim, you can schedule a time for the repairs to take place. Be aware that the other party's insurance company may call you and ask for information about the accident.
Car insurance companies have made it easier to file and track a claim, but the process can still leave their customers with plenty of unanswered questions. If you're in doubt, ask your claims rep, customer service rep, or your insurance agent for more information.
And, don't be bashful about it. After all, this is why you pay your premiums for car insurance throughout the year: To provide some financial protection when you're in an accident. Keep in mind that while filing a claim may be a new process for you, it won't be for the person who's providing the answers.
In This SectionOther Topics in This Section
Insurance Resource Center
- Tips For Filing A Car Insurance Claim
Being involved in a car accident is stressful, even if it's a minor one. And, while filing a claim isn't quite as stressful, it still can be an unpleasant or intimidating experien...
- When To File A Car Insurance Claim
Learn When It's Appropriate To File A Car Insurance Claim. Some Auto Accidents Won't Require Auto Claims And The Involvement Of Auto Insurance Companies.
- How To File A Bodily Injury Claim
Steps On Filing A Bodily Injury Claim With An Auto Insurance Provider. Learn More Online Regarding Liability Insurance, Car Insurance And Personal Injury.
- How To File A Physical Damage Claim
Steps To File A Physical Damage Claim With A Car Insurance Provider. Info On Liability, Comprehensive Coverage And Collision Insurance If You Are Involved In An Auto Accident.
- How To File Glass Or Windshield Claims
Step By Step Guide To Windshield Claims And Car Insurance. Learn How To File A Glass Repair Or Glass Replacement Auto Claim With A Car Insurance Agency.
- How To File A Car Insurance Claim For Vandalism
Online Guide To Filing An Auto Claim With A Car Insurance Company For Vandalism. Determine What Is Covered By Car Insurance If Your Vehicle Has Physical Damage.
- How To File A Car Insurance Claim For Auto Theft
Steps On Filing An Auto Theft Insurance Claim With A Car Insurance Company. Not All Car Insurance Policies Cover Car Theft. Get Auto Insurance And Auto Claim Info Online.
- How To Track A Car Insurance Claim
Learn How To Track A Car Insurance Claim If You Are Involved In An Auto Accident. We Offer Online Auto Insurance Info To Make Handling Auto Claims An Easier Process.
- How To Report A Car Insurance Claim Online
Steps To Report A Car Insurance Claim Online. Some Auto Insurance Companies Offer Online Services To Make Filing Auto Claims More Convenient. Get More On Auto Accidents Online.
- How To Handle A Disputed Car Insurance Claim
Learn How To Handle Auto Insurance Claims Disputed by A Car Insurance Company. Get Simplified Steps On Filing Auto Claims And Dealing With Auto Accidents And Accident Claims.
- Tips For Handling A Hit And Run Driver Claim
How To Handle A Hit And Run Accident Claim With Your Auto Insurance Company. In Most Cases Uninsured Motorist Insurance Covers Damages. Learn More On Auto Claims And Car Insurance Online.
- How To File An Auto Insurance Claim Online
Steps On Filing An Auto Insurance Claim Online. Auto Accidents Don't Always Happen During Business Hours. Report Accident Claims Any Time With Car Insurance Companies Offering Online Services.
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims