How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Suspended License
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:There are several reasons why your state might suspend your driver's license and, depending on the reason it's suspended, you might still be able to get auto insurance coverage for your vehicle.
First, the reason for your suspended license is important. It could mean the difference between getting and not getting coverage, as well as what kind of coverage you can get.
Reasons that your license could get suspended include:
- Driving under the influence (DUI) conviction, or refusing to take a breathalyzer or other DUI/DWI test.
- Accumulation of unpaid traffic tickets or driving record points.
- Reckless driving charges.
- Lapse in auto insurance coverage.
It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle with a suspended driver’s license in most states. For this reason many providers will not offer you car insurance coverage while your license is suspended. However, if the reason for your suspended driver's license isn't extreme, you might be able to work with an auto insurance company.
Apply for a Hardship License
In some instances you might be able to contact your DOT and request a hardship driver’s license. The license allows you to drive your motor vehicle to and from work. The license can also be used to drive to and from school.
You must get written approval to carry the license from your state DOT or division of motor vehicles (DMV). Additionally, your state might require you to pay fines or fees to receive the hardship driver’s license.
Upon receipt of the hardship driver license, contact three or more car insurance companies to compare auto insurance rates and select a policy that gives you sufficient coverage at reasonable rates.
As soon as your regular driver’s license is restored, contact your car insurance company and alert them to the change. If your car insurance company does not lower your rates, check around online with other insurance companies so you can secure a policy that offers reasonably priced car insurance coverage.
File SR 22
Depending on the reason your license was suspended (say, you were caught driving without insurance or convicted of DUI or DWI), ask a DMV representative about filing an SR 22. An SR 22 form serves as proof that you have auto insurance. It also serves as a guarantee that you will maintain car insurance for a specific period of time (e.g. six months).
If all systems are go, contact your auto insurance agent and request an SR 22 form. Your car insurance agent can submit the form to your state DOT. You can also submit the form to your DOT yourself. Keep a copy of the form for your personal records.
If your driver’s license was suspended because you were convicted of driving absent car insurance, your license will likely be reinstated as soon as the department of transportation receives your SR 22 form. At the very least, you must keep required state DOT minimum levels of auto insurance on your car or truck.
In This Section
Other Topics in This Section
- What To Do If Your Auto Insurance Policy Lapses
Tips On Handling An Auto Insurance Lapse And What To Do If You Face Car Insurance Cancellation. Immediately Reinstate Insurance To Avoid Further Penalties.
- Who Needs High Auto Insurance Deductibles
How High Auto Insurance Deductibles Suit Certain Drivers. Get Info On Circumstances That Call For Higher Car Insurance Deductibles. Save Money With An Auto Insurance Policy That Suits Your Needs.
- Who Needs Low Auto Insurance Deductibles
How Low Auto Insurance Deductibles Suit Certain Drivers. Learn More On When Lower Car Insurance Deductibles Are A Good Idea. Find An Auto Insurance Policy That Suits Your Needs.
- Benefits Of Increasing Car Insurance Deductibles
Learn More On Higher Deductible Auto Insurance. Look Online For The Benefits Of Increasing Car Insurance Deductibles. Find Out Why It Can Save You Money On Insurance Rates.
- Reasons To Change Auto Insurance Companies
Top Reasons To Change Auto Insurance Companies. Switch Car Insurance Providers When An Insurance Policy Doesn't Meet Your Needs Or Budget. Insist On Quality Customer Service And Products.
- How To Review Your Current Auto Insurance Policy
Tips On How To Review Your Auto Insurance Policy. Car Insurance Can Be Tricky. Be Sure You Understand Your Auto Insurance Policy Coverage Before Making Car Insurance Claims.
- Penalties For Making A Late Auto Insurance Payment
Info On Penalties For Paying Your Auto Insurance Premium Late. Maintain Car Insurance At All Times. Stay On Top Of Insurance Policy Payments To Avoid Late Fees And Nonrenewal.
- When To Assume Higher Risk With Auto Insurance
Know When To Assume Higher Risk When Buying An Auto Insurance Policy. Not All Vehicles And Drivers Require Full Car Insurance Coverage. Learn More On Auto Insurance Policies Online.
- How To Combine Coverage On Homeowners And Auto Insurance
Steps On Combining Homeowners Insurance And Auto Insurance. Learn More On The Benefits And Insurance Discounts Associated With Combined Coverage.
- What To Do If An Auto Insurance Company Denies Coverage
How To Handle Being Denied Auto Insurance Coverage. Learn What To Do If Car Insurance Companies Won't Cover You. You Might Have To Pay A High Insurance Premium.
- When To Compare Auto Insurance Quotes
Learn When It's A Good Time To Compare Auto Insurance Quotes. Easily Shop Online For Car Insurance 24/7. Compare Quotes Often To Find Competitive Insurance Rates.
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Suspended License
Steps On Getting Car Insurance Coverage With A Suspended Drivers License. Options For A Suspended License Could Include SR 22. Find More On Auto Insurance Online.
- How To Add A Car To Your Auto Insurance Policy
Info On Adding Another Car To Your Auto Insurance Policy. Combining Car Insurance Coverage Can Save You Money. Learn How To Lower Your Insurance Premium By Bundling Insurance Policies.
Insurance Resource Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims