How To File A Car Insurance Claim For Auto Theft
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
If you have reason to believe your vehicle has been stolen, take these five steps to file an auto theft insurance claim:
Don't hesitate. Call immediately and be ready to provide all pertinent vehicle identification information, including license plate number and vehicle make, model and color. The faster you call and file a police report, the better your chances for recovery.
After contacting the police, follow up immediately with a call to your auto insurance company. Be prepared to provide the following information:
- The car's title.
- Names and phone numbers of anyone else who may have had access to the vehicle.
- Location of all keys for the vehicle, before and after the theft.
- All vehicle identification information, including mileage and service records.
- A list of all personal property inside the vehicle during the time of theft, including your purse or wallet.
- The name and number of your leasing or financing company, if applicable.
Don't take it personally if your insurance company asks questions that, in your mind, implies suspicion. Auto insurance fraud runs rampant these days, requiring insurance companies to be more thorough with the gathering-information process.
NOTE: Auto theft is covered under comprehensive insurance. This applies to vehicle damages not caused by a car accident. Examples include vandalism, fire, and, of course, theft.
If your vehicle is leased or financed, you will need to notify your lienholder. This will help expedite the claims process.
Depending on your car insurance policy, you may be able to file for immediate rental car reimbursement, or for public transportation costs (taxi, bus, subway).
Depending on your car insurance company your car must go unrecovered for anywhere from 20 to 30 days before you'll be issued a settlement check. If your car is not recovered, depending on your insurance coverage, you should be compensated for the full value of your vehicle.
If, however, your car is recovered your auto insurance company will then assess if any damages incurred before deciding, if at all, on a claim amount. Again, much of this depends on the terms of your auto insurance policy.
In This Section
Other Topics in This Section
- Tips For Filing A Car Insurance Claim
Being involved in a car accident is stressful, even if it's a minor one. And, while filing a claim isn't quite as stressful, it still can be an unpleasant or intimidating experien...
- When To File A Car Insurance Claim
Learn When It's Appropriate To File A Car Insurance Claim. Some Auto Accidents Won't Require Auto Claims And The Involvement Of Auto Insurance Companies.
- How To File A Bodily Injury Claim
Steps On Filing A Bodily Injury Claim With An Auto Insurance Provider. Learn More Online Regarding Liability Insurance, Car Insurance And Personal Injury.
- How To File A Physical Damage Claim
Steps To File A Physical Damage Claim With A Car Insurance Provider. Info On Liability, Comprehensive Coverage And Collision Insurance If You Are Involved In An Auto Accident.
- How To File Glass Or Windshield Claims
Step By Step Guide To Windshield Claims And Car Insurance. Learn How To File A Glass Repair Or Glass Replacement Auto Claim With A Car Insurance Agency.
- How To File A Car Insurance Claim For Vandalism
Online Guide To Filing An Auto Claim With A Car Insurance Company For Vandalism. Determine What Is Covered By Car Insurance If Your Vehicle Has Physical Damage.
- How To File A Car Insurance Claim For Auto Theft
Steps On Filing An Auto Theft Insurance Claim With A Car Insurance Company. Not All Car Insurance Policies Cover Car Theft. Get Auto Insurance And Auto Claim Info Online.
- How To Track A Car Insurance Claim
Learn How To Track A Car Insurance Claim If You Are Involved In An Auto Accident. We Offer Online Auto Insurance Info To Make Handling Auto Claims An Easier Process.
- How To Report A Car Insurance Claim Online
Steps To Report A Car Insurance Claim Online. Some Auto Insurance Companies Offer Online Services To Make Filing Auto Claims More Convenient. Get More On Auto Accidents Online.
- How To Handle A Disputed Car Insurance Claim
Learn How To Handle Auto Insurance Claims Disputed by A Car Insurance Company. Get Simplified Steps On Filing Auto Claims And Dealing With Auto Accidents And Accident Claims.
- Tips For Handling A Hit And Run Driver Claim
How To Handle A Hit And Run Accident Claim With Your Auto Insurance Company. In Most Cases Uninsured Motorist Insurance Covers Damages. Learn More On Auto Claims And Car Insurance Online.
- How To File An Auto Insurance Claim Online
Steps On Filing An Auto Insurance Claim Online. Auto Accidents Don't Always Happen During Business Hours. Report Accident Claims Any Time With Car Insurance Companies Offering Online Services.
Insurance Resource Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.