How To File A Bodily Injury Claim
Compare Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
If you’ve suffered a personal injury due to an auto accident that wasn’t your fault, you’ll file a bodily injury claim with the at-fault party’s auto insurance provider.
Exceptions to this include:
- If you live in a no-fault state that requires personal injury protection as part of its liability insurance requirements. In this case, you’ll file the claim with your own insurance company.
- If you were the passenger. In this case, you’ll file with either your own insurance company or the other party’s insurance company. Contact your insurance company or state insurance department for details.
- If you live in a state, or were involved in an accident in a state, that allows cash or security deposits or self-insurance in lieu of an actual car insurance policy, and the at-fault party uses one of those methods. In this case, contact the state agency that handles such vehicle insurance matters to get details on how to seek compensation.
If you’re physically able, make sure you don’t leave the scene of the accident without:
- The names of, contact information for, and insurance information for everyone involved in the accident.
- The time, date, and location of the accident. It’s also a good idea to get a photograph of your vehicle.
- A copy of the police report. You might have to collect this at a later date, but at the very least get the name of the officer handling the accident.
Keep in mind that you’ll probably visit the emergency room immediately following the accident. Be sure to document your ambulance trip (if you took one) as well as the treatment you received, the doctor’s diagnosis and/or referral, and the costs of both the ambulance trip and the hospital visit.
One trip to the emergency room doesn’t make a strong case for an adequate bodily injury claim settlement.
Be sure to follow up with your doctor regarding any pain or injuries he treated following the accident, or anything you’ve experienced since your initial visit. Also make sure to make an appointment (and keep it) with any specialists your physician or the emergency room doctor recommends.
The insurance company’s claims adjuster will request these medical reports, but it’s a good idea to also document the visits for your own records.
Once you’ve gathered the information and have sought medical treatment (remember, this doesn’t mean you’re finished with treatment; it simply means you’ve been and are going to the doctor), contact the at-fault party’s insurance company to open a bodily injury claim.
A claims adjuster will take it from there. Be prepared to provide the information you gathered as well as answer questions such as:
- Who is your doctor and what is his or her contact information?
- What were you treated for? Are you still being treated?
- Have you seen any specialists? What for?
- Are you still experiencing pain related to the injury you sustained?
- Have you received treatment for this problem prior to the accident? If so, when?
You don’t necessarily need a personal injury attorney to open a bodily injury claim, but it’s a good idea to have a lawyer who specializes in bodily injury cases on your side once it’s time to get to the meat of the claim (i.e. the interviews with the claims adjuster) and once you receive your settlement ruling (see below).
Once your bodily injury claim is processed, you’ll receive your settlement decision.
A personal injury attorney can help you determine whether this is a fair settlement and, if it’s not, how to proceed with settlement dispute.
In This Section
Other Topics in This Section
- Tips For Filing A Car Insurance Claim
Being involved in a car accident is stressful, even if it's a minor one. And, while filing a claim isn't quite as stressful, it still can be an unpleasant or intimidating experien...
- When To File A Car Insurance Claim
Learn When It's Appropriate To File A Car Insurance Claim. Some Auto Accidents Won't Require Auto Claims And The Involvement Of Auto Insurance Companies.
- How To File A Bodily Injury Claim
Steps On Filing A Bodily Injury Claim With An Auto Insurance Provider. Learn More Online Regarding Liability Insurance, Car Insurance And Personal Injury.
- How To File A Physical Damage Claim
Steps To File A Physical Damage Claim With A Car Insurance Provider. Info On Liability, Comprehensive Coverage And Collision Insurance If You Are Involved In An Auto Accident.
- How To File Glass Or Windshield Claims
Step By Step Guide To Windshield Claims And Car Insurance. Learn How To File A Glass Repair Or Glass Replacement Auto Claim With A Car Insurance Agency.
- How To File A Car Insurance Claim For Vandalism
Online Guide To Filing An Auto Claim With A Car Insurance Company For Vandalism. Determine What Is Covered By Car Insurance If Your Vehicle Has Physical Damage.
- How To File A Car Insurance Claim For Auto Theft
Steps On Filing An Auto Theft Insurance Claim With A Car Insurance Company. Not All Car Insurance Policies Cover Car Theft. Get Auto Insurance And Auto Claim Info Online.
- How To Track A Car Insurance Claim
Learn How To Track A Car Insurance Claim If You Are Involved In An Auto Accident. We Offer Online Auto Insurance Info To Make Handling Auto Claims An Easier Process.
- How To Report A Car Insurance Claim Online
Steps To Report A Car Insurance Claim Online. Some Auto Insurance Companies Offer Online Services To Make Filing Auto Claims More Convenient. Get More On Auto Accidents Online.
- How To Handle A Disputed Car Insurance Claim
Learn How To Handle Auto Insurance Claims Disputed by A Car Insurance Company. Get Simplified Steps On Filing Auto Claims And Dealing With Auto Accidents And Accident Claims.
- Tips For Handling A Hit And Run Driver Claim
How To Handle A Hit And Run Accident Claim With Your Auto Insurance Company. In Most Cases Uninsured Motorist Insurance Covers Damages. Learn More On Auto Claims And Car Insurance Online.
- How To File An Auto Insurance Claim Online
Steps On Filing An Auto Insurance Claim Online. Auto Accidents Don't Always Happen During Business Hours. Report Accident Claims Any Time With Car Insurance Companies Offering Online Services.
Insurance Resource Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims