How To Add A Car To Your Auto Insurance PolicyCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:Page Overview
Adding another car to your auto insurance policy is relatively easy. In some instances combining car insurance coverage can save you money and lower your insurance premiums.
There are several reasons why you might want to add another car to your car insurance policy. Life changes (e.g. getting married) are a key reason that you would want to add another car or truck to your policy.
Other reasons include:
- A teenage child who gets a driver’s license and a new car to go with it.
- You purchase another car or truck.
- You leased a vehicle you drive temporarily and it needs coverage.
- You now jointly own a vehicle that needs to be added to your policy.
Plus, when you add another vehicle to your policy, your provider might lower your auto insurance premium. Many insurance companies offer discounts for covering more than one vehicle on a policy.
Contact your auto insurance provider about adding another car or truck to your policy. Give the agent your name and your car insurance policy number. Also be prepared to give your insurance agent the name, date of birth, and driver’s license numbers of other drivers you want to add to your policy.
If you are merely adding another car to your policy, contact your auto insurance agent and give them the following information:
- Make, model, and year of the new car or truck.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Odometer reading on the auto.
In addition to giving your auto insurance agent details on the auto you want to add to your policy and details on any drivers who will operate the motor vehicle, also let the agent know the type of coverage you want on the vehicle.
For example, you will want to let your auto insurance agent know how much of the following coverage types you want on the motor vehicle:
- Bodily injury liability
- Property damage liability
- Personal injury protection (if you live in a no-fault auto insurance state)
Other steps that you can take to lower your insurance premium include:
- Taking a driver’s education course.
- Purchasing your homeowners or renters, life, and auto insurance policies with the same provider. This is often referred to as bundling insurance policies.
- Installing security devices (e.g. auto theft locks, alarm) in your car or truck.
Remember to get enough liability insurance coverage to meet your state’s minimum liability levels. Most states post their minimum auto insurance levels that drivers must keep on their vehicles at their websites.
In This SectionOther Topics in This Section
Insurance Resource Center
- What To Do If Your Auto Insurance Policy Lapses
Tips On Handling An Auto Insurance Lapse And What To Do If You Face Car Insurance Cancellation. Immediately Reinstate Insurance To Avoid Further Penalties.
- Who Needs High Auto Insurance Deductibles
How High Auto Insurance Deductibles Suit Certain Drivers. Get Info On Circumstances That Call For Higher Car Insurance Deductibles. Save Money With An Auto Insurance Policy That Suits Your Needs.
- Who Needs Low Auto Insurance Deductibles
How Low Auto Insurance Deductibles Suit Certain Drivers. Learn More On When Lower Car Insurance Deductibles Are A Good Idea. Find An Auto Insurance Policy That Suits Your Needs.
- Benefits Of Increasing Car Insurance Deductibles
Learn More On Higher Deductible Auto Insurance. Look Online For The Benefits Of Increasing Car Insurance Deductibles. Find Out Why It Can Save You Money On Insurance Rates.
- Reasons To Change Auto Insurance Companies
Top Reasons To Change Auto Insurance Companies. Switch Car Insurance Providers When An Insurance Policy Doesn't Meet Your Needs Or Budget. Insist On Quality Customer Service And Products.
- How To Review Your Current Auto Insurance Policy
Tips On How To Review Your Auto Insurance Policy. Car Insurance Can Be Tricky. Be Sure You Understand Your Auto Insurance Policy Coverage Before Making Car Insurance Claims.
- Penalties For Making A Late Auto Insurance Payment
Info On Penalties For Paying Your Auto Insurance Premium Late. Maintain Car Insurance At All Times. Stay On Top Of Insurance Policy Payments To Avoid Late Fees And Nonrenewal.
- When To Assume Higher Risk With Auto Insurance
Know When To Assume Higher Risk When Buying An Auto Insurance Policy. Not All Vehicles And Drivers Require Full Car Insurance Coverage. Learn More On Auto Insurance Policies Online.
- How To Combine Coverage On Homeowners And Auto Insurance
Steps On Combining Homeowners Insurance And Auto Insurance. Learn More On The Benefits And Insurance Discounts Associated With Combined Coverage.
- What To Do If An Auto Insurance Company Denies Coverage
How To Handle Being Denied Auto Insurance Coverage. Learn What To Do If Car Insurance Companies Won't Cover You. You Might Have To Pay A High Insurance Premium.
- When To Compare Auto Insurance Quotes
Learn When It's A Good Time To Compare Auto Insurance Quotes. Easily Shop Online For Car Insurance 24/7. Compare Quotes Often To Find Competitive Insurance Rates.
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Suspended License
Steps On Getting Car Insurance Coverage With A Suspended Drivers License. Options For A Suspended License Could Include SR 22. Find More On Auto Insurance Online.
- How To Add A Car To Your Auto Insurance Policy
Info On Adding Another Car To Your Auto Insurance Policy. Combining Car Insurance Coverage Can Save You Money. Learn How To Lower Your Insurance Premium By Bundling Insurance Policies.
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims