How To Add A Car To Your Auto Insurance Policy
Adding another vehicle to your car insurance policy is relatively easy, and it can actually benefit you. In some instances, combining auto insurance coverage can save you money by lowering your premiums.
Why Add Another Vehicle to Your Car Insurance Policy?
There are several reasons why you might want to add another car to your auto insurance policy. If you experience a major life change (e.g., you got married), you'll likely want to make changes to your car insurance.
Other reasons you might need to add a car or truck to your policy include the following:
- You have a teenage child who gets a driver’s license and a new car.
- You purchase another car or truck.
- You move in with a roommate.
NOTE: When you add another vehicle to your policy, your provider might lower your auto insurance premium. Many insurance companies offer multivehicle discounts, meaning lower rates for those who insure more than one car.
How to Add Vehicles to Your Auto Insurance Policy
When you want to modify your car insurance policy to include another vehicle, you'll want to take the following steps:
- Contact your insurance company about adding another vehicle to your policy.
- Give the auto insurance agent:
- Your name and your policy number.
- Make, model, and year of the new car or truck.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Odometer reading on the automobile.
- The name, date of birth, and driver’s license numbers of other drivers you want to add to your policy.
NOTE: Some insurance companies allow you to make modifications, including the addition of another vehicle, to your policy online. Check your insurance provider's website to see if this is an available option.
How Many Vehicles Can I Insure?
The number of cars you can have under your car insurance policy will depend on your insurer.
There may be a maximum limit to how many cars your insurance company will let you insure on one policy. For example, you may be limited to 3 vehicles and 3 drivers. After that, you might need to buy a new policy. Make sure to speak with your auto insurance agent to make sure your policy allows the addition of an extra vehicle and/or driver.
Types of Coverage
In addition to giving your auto insurance agent information regarding the vehicle and any drivers you wish to add, make sure that you also let the agent know the type(s) of coverage you want on the vehicle.
For example, you will want to let your auto insurance agent know how much of the following coverage types you want on the car:
- Bodily injury liability.
- Property damage liability.
- Personal injury protection (if you live in a no-fault state).
- Any other optional coverage types, such as towing and labor or emergency roadside assistance.
Additional Ways to Lower Your Car Insurance Premium
Other steps that you can take to lower your insurance premium include:
- Taking a defensive driving course.
- Purchasing your homeowners or renters, life, and auto insurance policies with the same provider.
- Installing security devices (e.g, auto theft locks, alarm) in your car or truck.
- Paying your premium upfront.
For more information, see our Car Insurance Discounts section.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
Amanda Lautieri Limited Lines Auto Agent