How Driving History Affects Auto Insurance RatesPage Overview
For better or worse, your driving record tells insurance companies a lot about you.
Insurers assess risk, and if your driving history contains numerous examples of poor judgment and unsafe driving habits, most providers will view you as an unattractive customer, and may either refuse to provide coverage or do so at an exorbitant rate.
That's yet another reason why it pays to obey traffic laws and avoid accidents.
Traffic ticket violations range from failing to insert a quarter into a meter and receiving a parking ticket to being caught driving drunk. Accordingly, insurers view each traffic violation as a measure of your risk profile.
So, non-moving violations usually have little impact on your premiums. However, serious moving violations―such as speeding tickets and DUI offenses―signal to your carrier you're more likely to be involved in a claim, and raise the odds your premiums will rise.
The more tickets you accumulate, the higher your rates will escalate. And, for speeding tickets, the faster you were driving over the speed limit, the greater the chances your rates will go up.
But, many insurers won't hike your premiums following your first moving violation, even if it's for speeding.
Remember, where you live can play a factor. Some states prohibit insurers from imposing a rate hike following a first-time speeding offense, but other states require carriers to hike premiums after certain severe violations or a selected combination of driving offenses.
How much your rates rise depends on your carrier, age, policy, location, and driving history. Sometimes, even a single speeding violation can double or triple your premiums. And, younger drivers―who generally present the most risk to an insurer―stand a greater chance of seeing dramatic premium increases.
Most carriers will increase your premiums for three years following a serious moving violation conviction, and might also do so for at-fault accident.
Your rates should decrease once this period is over, if you don't accumulate any more offenses or accidents. But, your insurance company keeps track of all your traffic violations and accidents and uses this information when determining if they want to continue offering coverage to you.
A DWI or DUI conviction can cause your premiums to skyrocket, and make your carrier refuse to renew your policy. If that happens, your insurance choices will dwindle, forcing you to possibly settle for a provider with hefty premiums.
Remember, insurance is all about risk, and having a DUI/DWI conviction on your driving record makes you an unappealing customer for most carriers.
Being in a single accident can have a dramatic effect on your insurance premiums, even if you weren't at fault. Please see our Accidents article to learn more about the role accidents play in rate increases.
In This SectionOther Topics in This Section
Insurance Resource Center
- How Traffic Tickets Affect Auto Insurance Rates
How Traffic Tickets Increase Auto Insurance Rates. Take Defensive Driving To Offset The Cost Of Car Insurance Premiums. Get Info On Speeding Tickets, Driving Record Points And More.
- How Driving Record Points Affect Auto Insurance Rates
How Driving Record Points Affects Auto Insurance Rates. Traffic Ticket Points Can Increase A Car Insurance Rate. Learn Order A Driving Record Before Shopping Online For Insurance Quotes.
- How Auto Claims Affect Auto Insurance Rates
Regardless of how major or how minor your accident claim may be, it could, depending on your provider and other circumstances, directly influence your auto insurance rates. How Fil...
- How Assuming More Risk Lowers Auto Insurance Rates
Why Assuming More Risk Can Lower Auto Insurance Rates. Get Info On Car Insurance Deductibles Before Committing To An Insurance Policy. Reduce An Insurance Rate With A Higher Deductible.
- How Occupation Affects Auto Insurance Rates
Find Out How Occupation Affects Auto Insurance Rates. If Your Mileage To Work Is Low And A Car Insurance Company Considers Your Job Low Risk, Your Insurance Premium Could Be Less.
- How Marital Status Affects Auto Insurance Rates
How Martial Status Affects Auto Insurance Rates. Find Out If Being Married Lowers Car Insurance Premiums And Why An Insurance Company Would Reduce An Insurance Rate If You Have A Spouse.
- How Location Affects Auto Insurance Rates
Determine How Location Affects Auto Insurance Rates. Car Insurance Companies Consider Zip Codes When Calculating An Auto Insurance Rate. Learn Ways To Save Money On Insurance Policies.
- Insurance For New Cars Versus Used Cars
How Auto Insurance Rates Vary If You Drive A New Or Used Car. Used Vehicles Usually Mean Lower Car Insurance Premiums. Learn How You Can Save Money On Auto Insurance.
- How Gender Affects Auto Insurance Rates
Learn How Gender Affects Auto Insurance Rates. A Car Insurance Company Could Lower Insurance Rates Depending On Whether You Are Male Or Female. Find Out Ways To Save Money On Auto Insurance.
- How Gaps In Coverage Affect Auto Insurance Rates
Insurance Lapses And Gaps In Car Insurance Coverage Affect Auto Insurance Rates. Get Info On Ways To Lower Insurance Premiums. States Require Drivers To Maintain Auto Insurance At All Times.
- How Auto Theft Affects Auto Insurance Rates
Find Out How Auto Theft Affects Auto Insurance Rates. If Car Theft Is A Reasonable Risk, Car Insurance Companies Charge Higher Insurance Rates. Learn Way To Save Money On Auto Insurance.
- How Credit Scores Affect Auto Insurance Rates
Learn How Credit Scores Affect Auto Insurance Rates. Car Insurance Companies Might Check Your Credit Rating When Determining Your Insurance Premium. Find Out More On Getting A Credit Report.
- How Driving History Affects Auto Insurance Rates
Learn How Driving History Affects Auto Insurance Rates. Good Drivers Usually Pay Less For Car Insurance. Traffic Tickets And Auto Claims Could Increase Insurance Premiums.
- How Age Affects Auto Insurance Rates
Find Out How Age Affects Auto Insurance Rates. Car Insurance Companies Lower Insurance Rates For Experienced Drivers. Teens Usually Pay More For An Auto Insurance Policy.
- How Auto Accidents Affect Auto Insurance Rates
Why Auto Claims Can Mean Higher Auto Insurance Rates. Info On Accident Claims, Driving Records And Car Insurance Premiums. Find Out How Insurance Companies View At Fault Accidents And Risk.
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims
- How Traffic Tickets Affect Auto Insurance Rates