Search & Choose State
Compare Rates & Save

Enter Zip Code:

  • Federal Truck Filings

    Laws that govern federal truck filings offer protections to commercial drivers and trucking businesses. The laws also protect resident, other drivers, and pedestrians in the event of a chemical spill, auto collision, or accident. Many of the regulations are set by the United States Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

    Federal Truck Filings For Interstate Trucking And Transportation

    Federal Truck Filings

    Types of trucking businesses and commercial drivers who must submit federal commercial auto insurance filings include:

    • Hazardous cargo
    • Contract or for-hire insurance
    • Passenger transportation
    • Interstate trucking

    Forms BMC-34 (certificate of insurance) must be completed in order to fulfill the above federal truck filings. The forms are available through your insurance agent.

    If insurance on a single commercial motor vehicle is provided by two or more insurers, commercial drivers or trucking businesses must also complete Form BMC-91X. The form confirms that you have enough liability insurance on your commercial vehicle to meet minimum federal public liability standards.

    Bodily injury, property damage, and environmental restoration coverage are included in public liability insurance. Depending on your situation, you might have to file additional insurance forms with the federal government. For example, you might have to file:

    • Form BMC-84 (This is a surety bond.)
    • Form BMC-85 (This is a trust fund agreement.)
    • Form BMC-91 (This is a policy endorsement that guarantees that you have sufficient liability insurance to transport cargo across state lines.)

    NOTE: Interstate truck filings are not to be confused with intrastate truck filings.

    Filings for Commercial Drivers and Trucking Businesses

    Most of the federal forms can be filed electronically through the federal Safety and Fitness Electronic Records System (SAFER). Ask your commercial insurance agent to complete the filings on your behalf.

    Complete Form MCS-150 to receive a DOT number. You can complete the application online at the SAFER website. You can also dial (800) 832-5660 and request to have the form mailed to you.

    Some states might require you to complete separate insurance filings with them as well. For example, states require that you also file with them if you transport exempt commodities.

    Exceptions are:

    • Alaska
    • Arizona
    • Delaware
    • Florida
    • Hawaii
    • Maryland
    • Nevada
    • New Jersey
    • Oregon
    • Pennsylvania
    • Vermont
    • Wyoming

    You must complete Form E (confirms that your commercial auto insurance meets state guidelines) if you live in a state that requires you to file with them if you transport exempt commodities. Your state will let you know.

    Commercial drivers who are not required to complete federal truck filings are:

    • Farmers operating farming equipment.
    • Private carriers who transport their own products (e.g. retailers).
    • Drivers who transport goods in vehicles owned by another person (in these cases the employer would complete the federal truck filing).
    Find Your
    Local DMV Office