Car Theft PreventionPage Overview
Car Theft Prevention
What is the best way to protect your car against theft? With the FBI reporting
721,053 thefts in 2012 alone, it’s a question that should be on every car owner’s mind.
Professional thieves make a living out of stealing cars because they know tricks that you don’t. However, taking certain precautions will reduce your chance of becoming a victim of car theft.
Layering anti-theft devices is a comprehensive approach to preventing auto theft. With the right combination, you guard the car in a number of ways and reduce your chances of theft.
Add an Alarm
A car alarm can stop a thief in his tracks before he even tries to steal the car.
As an added benefit, some car insurance providers offer a discount for owners that install an alarm system.
Consider an Immobilization Device
An immobilization device works as an added layer of protection by keeping a thief from hot-wiring your car.
Some model cars come equipped with a hidden button that the driver must push before starting it.
Similarly, smart keys have a chip installed, so the car will not start without the right key.
Install a Tracking System
This is a practical way to locate a stolen car. There are different types of tracking devices on the market.
- A passive system is like the black box airplanes carry.
- It sits in the glove box and stores GPS information such as distance, speed and trip time.
- Real-time tracking allows you to monitor your car in real time from a mobile device.
- With some products, you can disable the starter on the car, and the system will alert you if the car leaves a specified area.
When you install an anti-theft device, make sure to put a sticker or other type notification somewhere that thieves can see it.
Breaking bad habits will go a long way toward preventing theft.
- Don’t leave the keys in your car.Whether you put them in the glove box or leave them hanging in the ignition, you are supplying a potential car thief with everything he needs to drive off with your ride.
- Lock the doors. If you don’t lock your vehicle regularly, now is a good time to start. Force yourself to double check to make sure your keys are where they should be before walking away from the car, then lock the doors.
- Park in a well-lit area. The dark area of a parking lot or street is the first place car thieves will look.
Some other interesting facts you might not know about motor vehicle theft include the following:
- In 2012, the American consumers lost over $4.3B to car thieves.
- Older cars are high targets for thieves.
- Thieves can strip older cars down for hard-to-find parts that are worth more money.
- An expert thief can pop a car door and start the vehicle in less than a minute.
Auto theft has an impact, both direct and indirect, on car insurance rates, too. The escalation of thefts is forcing the insurance industry to raise premiums.
If you have settled a claim in the past for a stolen car, chances are your insurance may go up next time you renew. It is worth the time and money to find ways to safeguard your car.
For more information on the effect of theft on your car insurance rates, see our Auto Claims and Car Insurance page.
In This SectionInsurance Resource Center
- Shop For Insurance Online
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Insuring My Teen Driver: FAQs
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Auto Insurance Coverages
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
- DUI Costs and Car Insurance
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Commercial Auto Insurance by State
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance by State
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- Six Common Car Insurance Myths
- Penalties For Driving Without Insurance
- No-Fault Insurance and Fault Insurance
- Car Insurance Quotes vs. Calculators
- Car Insurance FAQs
- Car Insurance Statute of Limitations
- Why Car Insurance Rates Go Up After Accidents
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims
- Damaging Your Own Property and Car Insurance Coverage
- Fraud and Theft
- Old Cars: Popular Targets of Theft
- Car Insurance Fraud 101
- Car Theft Prevention
- Most Stolen Cars and Other Vehicles
- Cities With the Highest Car Theft Rates
- A passive system is like the black box airplanes carry.