Box Truck Insurance
Chances are if you own one or more box trucks, you are using them for business purposes.
Operating any vehicle for commercial purposes comes with risks that aren’t typical with personal vehicles, so it is important that you have commercial box truck insurance.
What Are Box Trucks?
A box truck is defined as a single-framed truck with an attached cubed cargo area.
A very common and well-known example of a box truck is a rental moving truck. Box trucks are commonly used by:
- Furniture delivery companies.
Types of box trucks include:
- Ice box.
- Cargo cutaway.
- Tilt cab.
What Is Box Truck Insurance?
This type of commercial auto insurance is specially written to cover the risks involved with the operation of box trucks for business purposes.
Box truck insurance is comprised of several different types of coverages. This allows you the ability to customize your commercial auto insurance policy to provide optimal security for your business.
Some box truck insurance coverages include:
- Liability – This is the most common form of state-required auto insurance. Liability insurance is made up of two types of coverages:
- Bodily injury – This coverage will help cover costs related to injuries suffered by others as a result of an accident caused by you or your employees.
- Property damage – This coverage will cover costs associated with damage to other people’s property in an accident caused by you or your employees.
- Cargo Insurance – This will help provide a financial safety net in case your cargo is damaged during transportation.
- Collision – This coverage will help pay for repairs or replacement of your box truck if it is damaged in an accident.
- Comprehensive - This coverage will help pay for repairs or replacement of your box truck if it is damaged in a non-collision incident (e.g., fire, theft, vandalism).
- Non-Trucking Liability – If you are a for-hire driver, you may need this insurance to help cover liability-related costs if you cause an accident in your box truck while you are not on dispatch.
Who Needs Box Truck Insurance?
If you own a box truck, you need box truck insurance. Most states require that all registered vehicles driven on public roads have insurance. Your box truck is not an exception to this rule.
Consider also the potential losses you might incur if an accident or other incident involving your box truck occurred and you were not properly insured.
Work with your commercial auto insurance agent to make sure your policy is compliant with your state’s laws.
Purchasing Box Truck Insurance
Shopping for box truck insurance can seem daunting. Your truck is an important part of your business and you want to make sure it is well protected.
Many commercial auto insurance companies are aware of this and try their best to make the experience as easy as possible. One way they accomplish this is by offering online box truck insurance quotes.
When you are getting quotes, remember that buying the minimum amount of box truck insurance to comply with state law may not be the best option. The minimum may not be enough protection in case of an incident. Consider purchasing higher limits and adding optional coverage types.
Amanda Lautieri Limited Lines Auto Agent