Bodily Injury ClaimsCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:Page Overview
Bodily injury insurance is in place to provide you with compensation should you sustain injuries during an auto accident.
If you’re injured during an auto accident, you’ll file a bodily injury claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company; however, you’ll file with your own insurance company if:
- You live in a no-fault state that requires personal injury protection as part of your liability insurance policy.
- You were the passenger. (If this is the case, check with each insurance company or your state’s insurance department about policies regarding filing with both your insurance company and the at-fault party’s insurance company.)
When you file a bodily injury claim, you must provide the insurance company’s claims adjuster with certain pieces of information.
During the time period between the auto accident and filing the claim, collect the following:
- The names of and contact information for everyone involved.
- The insurance information for everyone involved.
- Accident-specific information, such as the time, date, and location of the accident. Although you’re filing a bodily injury claim, it’s also a good idea to take pictures of the vehicle.
- Whether a police report was filed. Depending on the insurance company, you might need to present a copy of the police report.
- Whether you needed an ambulance to transport you to the hospital from the scene of the accident.
- The costs of your initial hospital and other medical bills (think the ambulance ride and emergency room visit).
Your claims adjuster will ask numerous other questions during the process (see below); however, the above is the kind of information you can gather immediately following the accident.
Obviously, a bodily injury claim with no medical reports isn’t going to hold much water; however, one trip to the emergency room isn’t going to impress anyone, either.
In other words, visit your regular physician (or a specialist to whom your emergency room doctor or physician refers you) after your initial emergency room visit. Keep up with your appointments and treatment plans, and be prepared for the claims adjuster to request copies of your medical files related to the accident.
NOTE: This isn’t always the case, but be prepared for the insurance company to request that you see a medical professional of its choosing.
In addition to the above information, your claims adjuster will ask you questions such as:
- What’s your physician’s name and contact information?
- Are you still under the care of a doctor?
- How many doctors have you seen? Have you seen any specialists?
- What were you treated for? Are you still being treated for that diagnosis?
- What kind of treatments have you received?
- Do you have a history of pain or injury to that same body part?
- When was the last time you were treated for pain or an injury to that body part?
- Do you have any residual injuries or pain?
As you can see, some of the questions are pretty straightforward; others, on the other hand, can get a bit tricky and your claims adjuster can manipulate your answers if you aren’t careful.
It’s best to hire an attorney with experience handling bodily injury claims cases. Remember, even if you’re no where near the point of determining whether to accept or dispute the settlement, having a bodily injury or personal injury attorney helping you navigate the process can help prevent getting to that point.
Most states require vehicle owners to purchase a liability insurance policy that meets the state’s minimum coverage requirements. Within this policy is bodily injury coverage and property damage coverage.
However, there are a few states that don’t require insurance, and a handful provide other options such as:
- Making a deposit of a certain amount in cash or securities.
- Filing self insurance.
If you live in, or are involved in an accident in, one of these states, check with the local DMV office or other state agency that handles vehicle registration to ask about the procedure for seeking bodily injury compensation.
In This SectionOther Topics in This Section
Insurance Resource Center
- Bodily Injury Claims
Guide To Bodily Injury Claims. Get Auto Insurance Details On Accident Claims And Dealing With A Car Insurance Company After An Auto Accident. Learn More On Liability Insurance And Personal Injury.
- Property Damage Claims
Online Guide To Property Damage Claims, Liability, Collision Insurance And Comprehensive Auto Insurance. Learn More On Auto Accident Claims Filed With A Car Insurance Company.
- Windshield Claims
Info On Windshield Claims And Glass Repair Covers By Auto Insurance. Learn More On Auto Claims With A Car Insurance Company Involving Glass Replacement And Repair.
- Third Party Insurance Claims
Get Info On Third Party Insurance Claims Filed With An Auto Insurance Company. If You Are Involved In An Auto Accident, Look Online For Car Insurance And Auto Claims Details.
- Shop For Insurance Online
- Insurance State Requirements
Auto Insurance Center
- Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Top Reasons To Buy Insurance Coverage
- Auto Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Buying Car Insurance Basics
- Buying Car Insurance For Teens
- Teen Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Get Car Insurance Coverage With A Learners Permit
- First Time Drivers Guide To Car Insurance
- How To Save Money On Teen Car Insurance
- Common Driving Mistakes Teens Make
- Safe Driving Tips For Teenage Drivers
- Safe Cars For Teen Drivers
- How To Add Teens To Your Auto Insurance Policy
- Tips for Car Insurance Policy Holders
- Types Of Auto Insurance Coverage
- Buying Car Insurance For Seniors
- Senior Guide To Car Insurance
- Extended Insurance Coverage Guide
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Auto Insurance Coverage
- When To Buy Rental Car Insurance
- How To Cover Vandalism Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Auto Theft Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Windshield Repair Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Accidents With Wildlife Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Lost Wages Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Medical Expenses Through Car Insurance
- How To Cover Pet Injuries Through Car Insurance
- How To Avoid Auto Insurance Non Renewal
Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
- Commercial Auto Insurance State Requirements
- Federal Motor Carrier Insurance
- CDL Federal Requirements
- Commercial Insurance Filing
- State Commercial Insurance Filings
- Federal Truck Filings
- Intrastate Truck Filings
- Interstate Transportation Filings
- Certificate Of Insurance
- Uniform Carrier Registration Plan
- Types Of Commercial Auto Insurance
- Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discounts
- Multiple Policy Discount For Commercial Vehicles
- Paid In Full Commercial Vehicle Insurance Discount
- Commercial Business Experience Discount
- Commercial Auto Insurance Quotes
- Commercial Auto Insurance Articles
- Who Needs Commercial Auto Insurance
- Types Of Commercial Vehicles To Insure
- How To Save Money On Commercial Auto Insurance
- What You Need For A Commercial Insurance Quote
- Types Of Business Vehicle Insurance
- How To Compare Commercial Insurance Quotes
- How To Get The Most Out Of Your Commercial Auto Insurance Coverage
- Types Of Commercial Trailers To Insure
- Online Commercial Auto Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Minimum Requirements
- Types Of Motorcycle Coverage
- Accessory Coverage For Motorcycles
- Comprehensive Physical Damage Insurance For Motorcycles
- Collision Insurance For Motorcycles
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Property Damage Liability Insurance For Motorcycles
- Medical Payments Insurance For Motorcycle Riders
- Personal Injury Protection Insurance For Motorcyclists
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Underinsured Motorist Coverage For Motorcyclists
- Motorcycle Roadside Assistance
- Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
- Motorcycle Insurance Rates
- Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
- Online Motorcycle Insurance
- Motorcycle Insurance Articles
- Motocross Insurance
- Dirt Bike Insurance
- Moped Insurance
- Trike Insurance
- Scooter Insurance
Auto Insurance Policy Basics
- Auto Insurance Deductible
- Auto Insurance Limit
- Auto Insurance Premium
- Auto Insurance Quote
- Auto Insurance Rates
- Motor Vehicle Report
- Proof Of Financial Responsibility
- Auto Insurance Endorsement
- Auto Insurance Exclusion
- Auto Insurance Rating
- Auto Insurance Code
- Auto Insurance Discounts
- Auto Insurance Glossary
- How To Obtain Proof Of Insurance
- How To Change Auto Insurance Providers
- Factors That Affect Insurance Rates
- How To Cancel An Auto Insurance Policy
- When An Accident Happens
- Accident Loss
- Auto Accident Payment Recovery
- Total Loss
- Proof of Loss
- Actual Cash Value
- Lost Wages
- Salvage Vehicles
- How To File An Accident Report With The Police
- Evaluating Personal Injury In Auto Accidents
- First Steps Following A Personal Injury Auto Accident
- When To Seek Medical Attention For Personal Injury
- Protection Against Auto Insurance Fraud
- How To Handle Staged Car Accidents
- Types of Insurance Claims
- Bodily Injury Claims
- Property Damage Claims
- Windshield Claims
- Third Party Insurance Claims
- About Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Claims Affect Your Auto Insurance Policy
- When To Cover Personal Injury With Auto Insurance
- How Much Personal Injury Protection To Buy
- Supplementing Health Insurance With Personal Injury Protection
- Pain And Suffering In Personal Injury Claims
- Statute Of Limitations And Personal Injury
- Negligence And Determining Legal Liability
- Auto Insurance Claim Settlements
- Auto Insurance Settlements Involving Personal Injury
- Proving Fault In An Auto Accident Personal Injury Case
- Compensation For Auto Accident Personal Injury Claims
- Tips For Settling A Motor Vehicle Accident Claim
- Factors That Affect Compensation In Personal Injury Claims
- Legal Representation For Insurance Claims
- When To Hire A Personal Injury Attorney
- When To Hire A Lawyer
- Personal Injury Attorney Fees
- How To Choose Personal Injury Lawyers
- Benefits of Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney
- What To Submit To A Personal Injury Attorney
- Processing Car Insurance Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Handle Claims
- How Car Insurance Companies Investigate Accident Claims
- How To Document Auto Accident Damage
- When To Report An Auto Accident To The DMV
- Tips On Documenting Personal Injury Expenses
- Paying Medical Bills Before Receiving Personal Injury Compensation
- Wage Loss In Personal Injury Auto Accident Cases
- How To File A Loss Of Wages Auto Claim
- Stages Of A Personal Injury Case
- Filing Car Insurance Claims