Safety Laws in Indiana
Riders and operators under 18 years old must wear a helmet.
There are no bicycle helmet laws.
Headlights must be turned on:
- Between dusk and dawn.
- When visibility is reduced to 500 feet or less.
- Snowmobiles must be equipped with at least 1 headlight.
- Headlights must be turned on between dusk and dawn.
Bicycles being ridden between dusk and dawn on a public highway must be equipped with:
- A front white light visible up to 500 feet.
- Either a rear red reflector or a red light visible up to 500 feet.
- A sounding device able to be heard from 100 feet is required; the use of sirens or whistles is prohibited.
For all the laws regarding bicycles and motorized bicycles, you can reference the statutes directly.
- Drivers younger than 18 are banned from texting and cell phone usage.
- All drivers, regardless of age, are banned from text messaging while driving.
All passengers in vehicles that have seatbelts must use them while in forward motion.
- All children under 8 years old are required by law to ride in a vehicle while secured in either a child safety seat or a booster. The lone exception is if your child is too large to properly fit into either seat. In this case, your child must be secured with a safety belt.
- All kids between 8 years old and 16 years old must use seat belts.
Call 911 if you suspect a driver of being a vehicular-Waterloo waiting to happen. Try to tattle as much information as possible, including the vehicle's license plate number, make, location and direction.
Dial 911 if you suspect a child left alone inside a vehicle of being in danger. Remain with the vehicle until authorities arrive.
Call your local police authority if you suspect an unattended pet left inside a vehicle of being in danger. Try, if possible, to remain with the vehicle until the police arrive.
That's great! We would love to hear about your experience...
We are sorry you didn't find the information you were looking for. Please visit our Visitor Support page for answer to frequently asked questions, or to contact us directly.
Thank you for submitting your feedback!
heroes have registered as organ donors.