RV & Motorhome Registration in IndianaPage Overview
Indiana RVs and Motorhome Registration
When you buy a recreational vehicle (RV) or motorhome in Indiana, you will need to register the vehicle with the state the same way you would a car or truck.
RV and motorhome registration is handled by the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). The process is largely the same as it is for other types of motor vehicles and can be done in person or through the state's online registration system.
You will be expected to renew your registration each year, which will include paying fees to renew your license plates.
You can register your RV or motorhome with the Indiana BMV either:
- In person.
When you register your recreational vehicle, you will receive special RV plates for it.
NOTE: If you have just purchased your RV, you will also need to apply for a vehicle title. See our Title Transfers in Indiana page for more information.
To register your RV online, you must have:
- Bought it within the last 45 days.
- Already submitted your title application.
Go to the BMV’s online registration system. You will need the following information:
- Your IN driver’s license number.
- Your Social Security number (SSN).
- Your zip code.
- Your RV’s identifying information, including its vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Payment for vehicle registration fees. See the section “RV Registration Fees” below for more information.
To register the vehicle in person at your local Indiana BMV office, you will need:
- Your vehicle title or a completed Application for Certificate of Title (Form 44049).
- Your Indiana driver’s license.
- Your Social Security number.
- A description of your RV, including the vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Payment for registration fees, which are explained below in the “RV Registration Fees” section.
When you register an RV or motorhome for the first time in Indiana, you will pay the excise tax fees as well as the fee for a new license plate.
Excise tax fees vary greatly and are based on vehicle’s model year as well as its retail price. For example, below are the taxes for a new RV with a retail price of:
- Up to $2,249: $15.
- Between $90,000 and $99,999: $1,425.
- $200,000 or higher: $2,375.
The excise tax rate gets lower the older a vehicle is.
The RV license plate fee is $28.75.
Indiana only requires emissions and tampering inspections every 2 years for vehicles that:
- Weigh 9,000 lbs. or less.
- Were manufactured after 1976.
- Are registered in Lake County or Porter County.
Since most RVs weigh more than 9,000 lbs., your RV is not likely to need an inspection.
Renewing your registration for you RV or motorhome follows the same procedure as renewing the registration for an automobile.
You can do renew a registration either online or in person.
There is a $29.75 fee to renew the registration and license plates for an RV or motorhome.Other Topics in This SectionBe a Hero
heroes have registered as organ donors.