Replacing a Lost Registration in Indiana
Duplicate Vehicle Registrations & License Plates in Indiana
If your registration certificate, license plates, or license plate stickers have been lost, stolen, or damaged, you should request duplicates through the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) as soon as you can.
If you drive around without your license plates or current registration stickers attached to your vehicle, the chances are high that you'll be pulled over and receive a traffic citation.
If you are pulled over for any reason, one of the first things a law enforcement officer will typically ask for is your IN driver's license and vehicle registration. If your current registration certificate is missing and you cannot present it, you will likely face penalties in addition to the ones you may face for your initial traffic violation.
On this page you'll find an overview of your options for replacing your vehicle registration documents and/or license plates.
NOTE: If your license plates or registration stickers were stolen, you should also file a police report with the local authorities to document the theft. You can easily become a victim of identity theft.
You can replace your Indiana vehicle registration certificate in person or online. Under certain circumstances, you may be able to request a duplicate over the phone.
To replace your registration card online, visit the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) website. You should be prepared to provide your personal and vehicle information. You may need a credit or debit card to pay the replacement fee. You should also have access to a printer so you can print your replacement registration card.
To apply for a replacement registration certificate in person, head to a Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) license agency. You may need to:
- Bring some sort of identification with you, such as a driver's license or state ID card.
- Provide something that will identify the vehicle, such as the license plate number or the vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Fill out a form for the replacement.
After completing the replacement steps and paying the $6 fee, you'll receive the replacement card and stickers.
NOTE: If you have recently renewed your vehicle registration, but the updated registration card and license plates stickers were never mailed to you, you may need to request replacement items. Contact the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) at (888) 692-6841.
If your Indiana license plates and/or registration stickers were lost, stolen, or damaged beyond recognition, you should request a replacement/duplicate with the Indiana BMV.
To request a replacement, visit your local Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) office and:
Other Topics in This Section
- Complete an Application for Replacement or Duplicate License Plate (Form 37135). On the form you'll need to include:
- Your name.
- The vehicle identification number, make, model, year, type, and color.
- Your address.
- An indication of whether the plates were lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed.
- Whether you want a duplicate (same license plate number) or a replacement (new number).
- The top section completed by a law enforcement officer, if your plates were stolen.
- Pay the $10.25 replacement/duplicate license plate/sticker fee.