Renewing Your CDL in Indiana
Pass Your CDL Written Exam with DMV Cheatsheets!
Get answers, save time and pass your CDL exam test the first time around. DMV Cheat Sheets advantages:
- Use Your Computer, Tablet or Mobile Phone
- Study When and Where You Want
- 24/7 Online Access
- Simply print and pass or your money back guaranteed
Get Your Test Answers Now!
When to Renew
You may renew your commercial driver license (CDL) up to 1 year before it expires. If you're tardy in renewing it, there is a penalty. If you let it lapse by more than 1 year, you'll have to pass the knowledge and skills tests again.
How to Renew
To renew your CDL, simply visit any license agency, and bring your current license. While there, you will hand it over, and be asked to recite your Social Security number as registered with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).
- If your number is not on the BMV's internal record, you will need to provide proof of your number.
- If you've changed your address, you'll need to provide 2 documents showing proof of residency.
- You may also be required to have a new Medical Examination Report(Form 649-F)
- All renewal applicants must also pass the vision screening test.
If everything checks out fine, you will pay $36 for your new license, which will be good for 4 years.
If you want to upgrade your license, you'll also need to pass all of the additional testing requirements that may be needed.
If your hazmat is set to expire, you'll need to get a whole new background check. This begins with fingerprints at a local agency, and an application to the TSA.
New Federal Requirements
You must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with the Indiana BMV. This means you must self-certify one of the following driving categories:
- Non-Excepted Interstate
- Excepted Interstate
- Non-Excepted Intrastate
- Excepted Intrastate
If you choose Non-Excepted Interstate, you must provide the BMV with a federal medical certificate.