- Location: Indiana
Moving Out of State in IndianaCompare Car Insurance Rates in 3 Easy Steps
1. Start Your Quote:
Vehicle registration fees are not refunded when you move to another state.
Motor Vehicle Excise Tax Refund
You must provide the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) proof of your new residency, your Indiana license plates and a copy of your vehicle's new registration. Send this evidence to:
- Bureau of Motor Vehicles Excise Tax Refund Request
- Indiana Government Center North, Room N-440
- 100 North Senate Ave.
- Indianapolis, IN 46204
If your information is deemed legitimate, you'll be mailed a refund form.
For more information on this, visit any BMV office for an Excise Tax Refund form. You'll find everything you need to send for your refund on the form.
You will need to return your Indiana plates if you apply for an Excise Tax refund. Otherwise, you are not required to surrender your Indiana license plates after relocating to a new state.
- Apply for a new driver's license. After establishing residency (usually ranging between 30 and 60 days) most states require that this be done within a set amount of time.
- Apply for a new registration. This, too, must be completed within a set amount of days after establishing residency.
- Apply for new license plates. This generally coincides with the registration process.
- Apply for a new vehicle title. Unlike the aforementioned, applying for a new title generally, depending on your state, is not mandatory. If you plan on selling your vehicle, only then will you need an updated title to correspond with your new state.
- If you're a prospective new driver, check if your permit is honored in your new state.
- If you completed a driver education course in your old state, you will also need to investigate whether your new state will honor the completion certificate.
- Check out our New to Your State? section.