Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Special Vehicles in Indiana

    Compare Car Insurance Quotes in 3 Steps

    1. Enter Your Zip:

    Many Hoosiers either own or are interested in buying a vehicle other than a car or motorcycle. So, let's take a look at some of these other types of transportation and fun. Specifically, we'll examine how to register and title snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), off-road vehicles (ORVs), and trailers.

    If you're interested in information about boats, recreational vehicles,
    or custom-built vehicles, we have separate sections covering these areas.

    Registration of a Snowmobile, ATV, or ORV

    You'll need to register them through the BMV.

    If you need to title your vehicle, visit your local BMV office. If your vehicle does not require a title, you may be able to register it online.

    In case you're wondering, golf carts aren't considered off-road vehicles and don't need to be registered.

    Titling a Snowmobile, ATV, or ORV

    You'll need to obtain a title for your ORV or ATV if it's less than 5 years old.

    Snowmobiles do not need to be titled.

    The titling process is under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV), so you can handle this at any license agency. Titles cost $15, and you must receive one within 31 days of the vehicle purchase. If you don't have your title by this time, you'll face a $21 penalty.

    Consult our titling section to review the application process.


    Trailers are considered motor vehicles and will need to go through the same registration and titling process as passenger cars.

    The registration fee will vary depending on where you live and the weight of your trailer.

    Titles cost $15.

    True or False

    Doctors don’t work with the same urgency to save your life if they know you’re an organ donor.

    True False


    Every doctor's first priority is to save your life regardless of your organ donation status.

    More Organ Donor Myths ▸ Become an Organ Donor ▸