Name Change in IndianaPage Overview
For instructions and a list of documents you will need to provide to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV), continue reading below.
Before you change your name on your Indiana driver’s license/ID card and vehicle documents, you’ll need to update your name on Social Security Administration (SSA) records first.
You will need:
- An Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
- Proof of your:
- U.S. citizenship (if you haven’t already provided this to the SSA) OR proof of your lawful U.S. presence.
- Name change (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order).
- Identity (e.g. driver’s license, ID card, passport).
More information about required documents for a corrected Social Security card can be found on the SSA website.
You should receive a new Social Security card in the mail within 10 business days after your request has been processed. Your Social Security number (SSN) will remain the same.
After you’ve changed your name with the SSA, wait at least 1 business day before changing your name on your Indiana driver’s license or ID card.
NOTE: You must submit your name change to the IN BMV within 30 days of the change.
You will need to visit your local IN BMV office in person with proof of your:
- Identity (e.g. birth certificate, passport, permanent resident card).
- Social Security number (e.g. Social Security card, W-2 form, pay stub).
- Lawful U.S. presence (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, foreign passport with I-94 print out).
- Name change (e.g. marriage license, divorce decree, court order).
- Indiana residence (e.g. recent bank statement, insurance policy document, IN voter registration card).
A complete list of required documents can be found in the Indiana BMV driver’s manual.
You will also need to pay the fee for a replacement IN driver’s license or ID card showing your new name.
Contact the Indiana BMV before your visit to check you have everything you need.
To change your name on your vehicle registration and certificate of title in Indiana, you’ll need to provide proof of your name change to the Indiana BMV.
NOTE: The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) may require you to complete a title transfer in order to change your name on your certificate of title.
For more information on what is required, contact the Indiana BMV.
The Indiana BMV charges the following fees for duplicate documents:
- Driver’s license: $10.50.
- Learner’s permit: $10.50.
- ID card: $11.50.
- Certificate of title: $8.
- Registration: $6.25.
Accepted Payment Methods
Indiana BMV offices accept payment by:
- VISA and MasterCard credit/debit card.
- Check or money order (payable to “BMV”).
If you’ve changed your address in Indiana, it’s important to update the BMV’s records as soon as possible so you don't miss any important correspondence. If you qualify, you can do this easily online on the myBMV.com website.
You can also change your address in person at the IN BMV office while you’re there updating your name.
For more information, visit our Change of Address in Indiana page.
Related ContentRecommended Articles