Appointments in IndianaPage Overview
Indiana offers an online Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) branch reservation system for scheduling driver and vehicle related services. Before you visit a branch office, save yourself some time by booking an appointment first.
You can make an appointment to take care of up to 5 transactions of the following:
- Indiana driver's license (renewals and amendments only)
- Identification cards (renewals and amendments only)
- Registrations for up to 3 vehicles (Indiana registration only)
- Title for 1 vehicle OR 1 watercraft (Indiana title only)
You can make reservations anytime for appointments Tuesday to Friday.
- Morning appointments are available every half-hour from 8:45 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. (11:30 a.m. is the last morning appointment)
- Afternoon appointments are available every half-hour from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. (4 p.m. is the last afternoon appointment)
- Appointments may be made 2 days, and up to 2 weeks, in advance
- Written exams
- Commercial driver licenses* (CDL)
- Initial driver licenses and identification cards
- Dealer plates
- Out-of-state registrations
* The driving skills test for commercial driver licenses must be scheduled at a CDL test site by phone.
You can schedule your driving skills test using a separate online system. Remember to arrive at least 15 minutes early to be able to take the test.
If you must pay a visit to your IN BMV, go during low-traffic times. The following suggestions could save you time standing in line.
Shortest Wait Time
- Before the lunch hour (usually noon)
- During the middle of the week (Tuesday through Thursday)
- During the middle of the month
Longest Wait Times
- During the lunch hour (starting at noon)
- On the first and last day of the week that the office is open (Monday and Friday for most)
- During the first or last week of the month
- On the day before or just following a holiday
Not all tasks require an in-person visit to the IN BMV. Find out what you can take care of from your own computer by visiting our online services page.