Appointments in Indiana
Indiana offers an online Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) branch reservation system for scheduling driver and vehicle related services. Before you visit a branch office, save yourself some time by booking an appointment first. There are currently 73 branches that offer this service.
You can make an appointment to take care of up to five of the following transactions:
- Indiana driver's license (renewals and amendments only)
- Identification cards (renewals and amendments only)
- Registrations for up to three Indiana vehicles
- Title for one Indiana vehicle OR one Indiana watercraft
You can make reservations anytime for appointments Tuesday-Friday.
- Morning appointments are available every half-hour from 8:45 a.m. through, and including, 11:30 a.m.
- Afternoon appointments are available every half-hour from 1:30 p.m. through, and including, 4 p.m.
- Appointments may be made two days, and up to two weeks, in advance
- Written exams
- Commercial driver licenses* (CDL)
- Initial driver licenses and identification cards
- Dealer plates
- Out-of-state registrations
* The driving skills test for commercial driver licenses must be scheduled at a CDL test site by phone.
You can schedule your driving skills test using a separate online system. Remember to arrive at least 15 minutes early to be able to take the test.
If you must pay a visit to your IN BMV, go during low-traffic times. The following suggestions could save you time standing in line.
Shortest Wait Time
- Before the lunch hour (usually noon)
- During the middle of the week (Tuesday through Thursday)
- During the middle of the month
Longest Wait Times
- During the lunch hour (starting at noon)
- On the first and last day of the week that the office is open (Monday and Friday for most)
- During the first or last week of the month
- On the day before or just following a holiday
Not all tasks require an in-person visit to the IN BMV. Find out what you can take care of from your own computer by visiting our online services page.
Other Topics in This Section
Your Opinion Matters To Us!Send Feedback
We put a lot of effort into making our content helpful & accurate. Please let us know if you see something that isn't clear or correct; we are here to ease any frustrations you may have while navigating DMV topics. We are not a government agency, please reach out to your local DMV, insurance agent, or respective professional for further assistance on specific situations.