- Location: Illinois
Special Licenses in Illinois
In Illinois, to get a job driving a vehicle that transports 10 or fewer persons, you just need to be at least 18 years of age.
However, if you are driving a vehicle that transports more than 10 passengers, a school bus, a commuter van, a religious organization bus, or a child care vehicle, you must be at least 21 years old and meet the following requirements:
- You must have had a valid driver's license for at least three years prior to the date of your application.
- You must not have been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, reckless driving, or reckless homicide resulting from the operation of a vehicle within the past three years.
- You must be able to demonstrate your ability to safely drive the vehicle.
Any vehicle that is designed to transport 16 or more passengers automatically requires a CDL. For additional information, contact your nearest Secretary of State office or download a copy of the Illinois Commercial Driver's Manual.
Special Requirements for Child Care Vehicles
If the vehicle you wish to operate is used to transport children to or from a child care facility, the following special rules apply:
- You must not have been convicted of more than two moving traffic violations within the past year.
- You must agree to a medical exam that will determine if you have any health problems that could affect your ability to drive safely.
Special Requirements for School Bus Drivers
A school bus permit is necessary for anyone who drives a school's or religious institution's transportation vehicle over a regularly scheduled transportation route. Contrary to popular belief, a school bus permit is needed even if you are simply filling in on behalf of the regular school bus driver.
In 1995, the Secretary of State was given the responsibility of regulating all school bus drivers within Illinois. An abbreviated list of the requirements for school bus drivers can be found on the Secretary of State website. If you would like a detailed list of all rules which apply to motorists working as school bus drivers, however, send your request to:
Secretary of State
- Driver Services Department
- 2701 South Dirksen Parkway
- Springfield, IL 62723
If you are in the process of seeking employment as a school bus driver, the school district representative in charge of the hiring process should be able to assist you in completing all of the necessary forms.Other Topics in This SectionOrgan Donation Survey
Are you currently registered as an Organ Donor?
Thank you! Besure to keep your registration up to date.Update Your Organ
Donor Information ▸