Replacing a Lost CDL in Illinois

As with the commercial driver license renewal process, replacing a lost CDL is a more detailed procedure than it used to be due to more stringent national security requirements. For one thing, you'll have to appear in person at a driver services office―you can't apply for a duplicate commercial license by mail or over the Internet.

For a stolen CDL, you will need an official police report to begin the replacement process. In most cases, this information can be taken over the phone and a case number assigned to you; you can then have a copy sent to you.

Proof of Identity

Whether your CDL was stolen or simply lost, you will also have to show original acceptable proofs of identity. Photocopies are generally not acceptable; if you have nothing else, have the photocopy notarized before taking it to the driver services office. Be aware, though, that there is no guarantee that it will be accepted.

Not sure if the ID you have is acceptable? In general, any federally issued identification with a photo and signature is preferable―for example, a U.S. passport. Note that the list of acceptable proofs of identity also details what types of identification are not acceptable.

The bottom line is that what is and isn't acceptable is at the discretion of the reviewing employee at the driver services office. If they have questions or suspicions about the validity of any documents, you may not be allowed to apply for a replacement CDL without providing further verification of your identity.


There is a $5 fee for providing a duplicate license. Remember, many Illinois driver services offices do not take credit or debit cards, so you'll need to bring either a checkbook or cash.

If you're age 60 or above and your license was stolen, and you provide the police report, you can get a duplicate for free.

New Federal Requirements

You must self-certify your type of vehicle operation with the Illinois SOS by January 2014. This means you must self-certify one of the following driving categories:

  • Non-Excepted Interstate
  • Excepted Interstate
  • Non-Excepted Intrastate
  • Excepted Intrastate

If you choose Non-Excepted Interstate, you must provide the SOS with a federal medical certificate.

Offices and Locations

Not all Secretary of State driver services offices provide the entire gamut of CDL services. Please check your local listings to find out which ones can issue a duplicate CDL. Their hours and days of operation also vary.

Related Content

Provide Feedback

Looking for Replacing a Lost CDL in Another State?