Search & Choose State
  • Location:

  • Special Vehicles in Illinois

    Illinois Special Vehicle Registration

    You know you must title and register your passenger car, pickup truck, or motorcycle―but what about other types of vehicles? If you have a special vehicle, such as an all-terrain vehicle (ATV), snowmobile, or trailer, you may have to title and/or register it in Illinois. The process for each type of vehicle may differ, so it's important to know what you need to do to title/register it and which state agency you need to visit.

    All-Terrain Vehicles in Illinois

    Illinois requires you to title your off-road vehicle and all-terrain vehicle (ATV), but you do not have to register them. You'll need to complete the Application for Vehicle Transaction (Form VSD 190). This form is not available online, but you can pick up a copy at your Illinois Secretary of State (SOS). You will also need to pay the $30 title fee.

    In order to operate your ATV in public parks, you must have a public access sticker visible on your vehicle. Remember, you can not operate your ATV on any public roads or highways in Illinois, unless you're simply crossing them.

    For more information about ATV regulations in Illinois, contact the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) .

    Illinois Snowmobile Registration

    If you own a snowmobile in Illinois, you must have it registered before you can take it out for a spin. This process isn't handled by the Secretary of State. Instead, all snowmobile registrations and renewals are handled by the Department of Natural Resources.

    To register your snowmobile, complete a Snowmobile Registration Application (Form 40M) and submit it to:

    Illinois Department of Natural Resources
    P.O. Box 19226
    Springfield, IL 62794

    Enclose payment for the $30 fee. This will cover a registration card and 2 decals. The registration is valid for 3 years.

    NOTE: You must register your snowmobile within 15 days of acquiring it.

    Non-Resident Trail Use Pass

    You must purchase a $25 trail pass if you're from out of state and your snowmobile is not registered in Illinois.

    Snowmobile Liability Insurance

    Liability insurance is required when riding on public trails.


    You must title and register your watercraft in Illinois. This applies to both boats and personal watercraft such as jet skis. Complete a Watercraft Registration/Title Application and submit it to:

    Department of Natural Resources
    P.O. Box 19226
    Springfield, IL 62794

    New registrations depend on the length of your vessel. For more information, visit our Boat Registration and Licenses in Illinois page for more details.

    Trailer Registration in Illinois

    All trailers must be titled and registered. The title and registration process is the same for car registrations.

    The cost to register your trailer will vary depending on the weight.

    • 3,000 lbs. or less: $18.
    • 3,001 to 8,000 lbs.: $30.
    • 8,001 to 10,000 lbs.: $38.
    • 10,001 lbs. and over: $50.

    NOTE: You will also need to pay a title fee of $95 if you haven't titled your trailer yet.

    Recreational Vehicles/Motorhomes

    If you have a recreational vehicle (RV) or motorhome, the Illinois DMV requires you to register it much the same way as you would register your car. Follow the instructions on our Register Car in Illinois page.

    The cost to register your RV will depend on the weight:

    • 8,000 lbs. or less: $78.
    • 8,001 to 10,000 lbs.: $90.
    • 10,001 lbs. and heavier: $102.

    IL Moped Registration

    Illinois classes mopeds as a type of motorcycle, so they are registered just like motorcycles.

    A moped is defined as as vehicle with:

    • An automatic transmission.
    • An engine no more than 50 cc.
    • No more than 2 HP.
    • A maximum speed of 30 MPH AND the ability to reach 20 MPH over 1 mile of distance.

    More details are available on our scooters and mopeds page.

    Other IL Vehicles

    Be sure to check out our other pages to learn about the title and registration process for your vehicle:

    Be a Hero
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 4
    • 5
    • 0

    heroes have registered as organ donors.