DMV Appointments in IllinoisPage Overview
At this time, you only need to schedule an appointment to take the Illinois Commercial Driver's License (CDL) exams. You may schedule online or by phone. Read the sections below for more details.
For all other driver and vehicle related services at the Illinois Secretary of State (SOS) facilities you must wait in line. Keep in mind not all tasks require a visit to a branch office; find out which online services you can take care of from your own computer.
You can schedule your pre-trip, skills and road exam online through the Illinois fast pass scheduler.
To schedule a CDL appointment online you must:
- Have a valid Illinois class D driver's license and have passed all required written CDL exams within the last 12 months
- Have a valid Illinois CDL and have passed all required written CDL exams within the last 12 months if you are upgrading your CDL
- Have a valid Illinois CDL and have been notified that you are required to retake a pre-trip, skills or road exam
- Complete all required written CDL exams and schedule the pre-trip, skills and road exam as required (to exchange a valid out-of-state CDL for an Illinois CDL)
You must allow 48 hours for your appointment to be scheduled in the system. If you fail the exam, you cannot reschedule for at least 48 hours. Also, you can only schedule one appointment at a time.
To schedule a Monday-Saturday appointment at a CDL facility call (217) 785-3013 Monday-Friday 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m..
If you must pay a visit to your IL SOS, go during low-traffic times. The following suggestions could save you time standing in line.
Shortest Wait Time
- Before the lunch hour (usually noon)
- During the middle of the week (Tuesday through Thursday)
- During the middle of the month
Longest Wait Times
Recommended ArticlesOther Topics in This Section
- During the lunch hour (starting at noon)
- On the first and last day of the week that the office is open (Monday and Friday for most)
- During the first or last week of the month
- On the day before or just following a holiday